Friday, March 2, 2007

PEACE in the storm

I got a call while at Lowe's yesterday. A friend of mine was in deep distress. (If I think I have difficulties all I need to do is to see a bit bigger picture and I soon realize that with God's peace in my heart and His JOY as my strengh I have much more than those who lack that ) .

I guess in my recent 'ramblings' I started focusing on smaller issues. My special friend Linda really helped me in her response. Look, isn't that one thing that friends who truly love are for? I believe so. And I am finding more and more that true peace comes when someone loves you so much that they are willing to share with you from their heart and as you respond (Both human hearts and the divine heart as well).

By the way, Linda, what you said sounded so sweet to my ears. That was what we thought we were getting (or aiming at before) but it didn't quite turn out that way, as was written. But, the removing from the premises, as it seems now, is being done by those who 'can't stand' to be here anymore because of . . . . And even though they conjure up plausible (to them) reasons why it is not their fault, they are still the ones staging their exit. (They called yesterday from Tennessee and told their friend here that the loan still hasn't gone through but they are still looking and 'waiting' to move as soon as possible.)

As that is going on I am praying that my attitude will become so much like Jesus that whether or not others admit it on the outside, in the bigger picture it will be seen whose side I am on - Jesus' - and that the PEACE I am experiencing is coming from Him.

I am also becoming more and more convinced that the peace I am learning about has little to do with 'outward' circumstances. Yes, we hope to be more careful - if that is possible - about who lives here. Yes, we hope to get the place more fixed up - as that also becomes possible. But are those things what will bring peace, real peace?

After I wrote the above the question came to my mind - is it possible that these experiences are the very 'things' which are bringing a much better understanding (and experiencing) of what true peace is, to me? Could it be that because of wrong conceptions of 'peacemaking' - lack of contention at all costs - I needed to be set free from those lies through these experiences the Lord has allowed? I'm beginning to think so anyway.

As I have been sharing here and more often with my brother I believe the Lord has been 'growing me up' in these and other areas. Thanks to all who have been 'helping me' in love.

My mind goes back to the "Great Peace have they which love Thy law and nothing shall offend them" concept. The more I think about it the more I realize the indication in this promise that there are offences already 'present'. But things that previously caused 'offence', by true peace in my heart, are not causing the same reactions. God's kind of peace is enabling me to 'see' differently, have a new attitude. Oh, it would be so nice not to be where offences are. But until then the above text is giving me comfort.

And as I mentioned at the beginning, the concepts I believe I am learning the Lord is having me share even as I learn. My friend who called when I was at Lowes needed 'peace' far more than a solution. There was nothing I could do about her situation, but I could go 'be with her' (sometimes in person and sometimes by phone). We spent time focusing on Love's bigger picture. We talked about the Lord. I mentioned to her that Jesus didn't promise freedom 'from' problems' but He does go through the problem with those who belong to Him. One Bible example was the three men in the fiery furnace. Jesus didn't keep them out of the fire, but He instead went through it with them. Jesus didn't keep Daniel out of the lion's den but His angel's shut the lion's mouth so the lions couldn't eat supper.

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you" Jesus said. "Not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, agitated, stirred up, roiled neither let it be afraid timid, full of dread, ". (John 14:27)

So is this indicating that the world's peace is mainly 'external' - lack of contention, warfare? and by contrast God's Peace based on the internal - being able to 'relax' in the presence of the One who loves for you to be in His Presence? as well as humans who love you as well? Praise God.


Well, other duties are calling so will close for now.

Thanks again for all who care!

1 comment:

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

I'm so happy for the blessings in your life. Thank-you for sharing and for the encouragement to me too.

Love, linda