Monday, March 12, 2007

Keeping Peace

It almost seems two weeks yet it is only the 'third' day of this week. Jesus promises "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you." Seems to me He is saying, "it is not so much what is happening that will bring peace, it is not who is involved that ensures peace, I give you MY Peace." So What is that implying? How does it apply to me?

By Friday last week 'brother' had been returned to his family. Sabbath was 'rest'. THEN!! Sunday morning began an 'hour early' - time to spring forward an hour. Maybe that was a hint of what was ahead. Yet for all this Jesus' promise still stands: "MY PEACE I give to you". As mentioned earlier, special friends from Ohio blessed us with a quick visit. That was a real treat. We took a walk to a lake just off the back of our property. We reminisced about years gone by. She was the photographer for our wedding years ago - and still loves doing that type of work. She shared some of what has happened in her life. We shared some about our adventures.

Just before they had to leave I got a 'distress' call from another friend who just found out that she was being 'sued'. She was quite frustrated momentarily and we prayed together to remind us both that "God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

I can't quite remember how often I have shared with folks lately the contrasts related to that text but it helps me each time I review it. God is offering His 'real' power to counteract Satan's counterfeit 'force'. God's love bonding is freely offered to everyone to break the bands of Satan's bonding mechanism called 'fear'. When a person knows and experiences the truth about God he is enabled to 'think right' - sound mind - instead of functioning from Satan's falsehoods (lies) which bring confusion, conflict and eventually 'death'.

I also reminded her that a law of life is "By beholding we become changed." If I look at a problem I become one. "Looking unto Jesus" I become like Him. And since He is the "Prince of Peace" by keeping my thoughts on Him that enables me to imbibe of His Peace.

Somewhere in the above activities our friends who are moving from here to Tennessee needed help. My husband and the other men got all the big items moved downstairs. Today I helped the man pack the U-Haul with their things. Sometimes moving can create more stress. This packing job seemed unique in several ways. One tremendous blessing was that there was a harmony while we were working together that sometimes has been lacking at times in the past. I believe the Lord has been working to teach me how to 'keep His peace'. "Not by might nor by power but by My Spirit, saith the Lord."

When we just about finished loading the truck I got a call from a local friend needing help again. On my way over to her place I got a call from a family member who was being challenged. I didn't really have any answers but one thing I said over and over again - I hope she accepted it too - was that she was special (and she is). When a person is alive, he or she is special. Jesus said "I have loved thee with an everlasting love, therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee." Remembering that love is a gift from God reminds me to share that love specialness with others.

Well, I made it home this evening - a bit late but here nonetheless. Now, how can I share the love right here? I think they need it as well as those on the phone and near and far.

And will you do me a favor. When you read this, remember, you are special too. Yes, Not so much because I say so, but because Jesus gave you life - and in His life there is peace.

Keeping His Peace entails keeping His presence. I am still learning. Keeping true Peace I am becoming convinced also involves staying with Jesus. When I wander, when I quit listening to Him, when I 'run ahead' or 'lag behind' of His known will for me, I am not keeping His peace.
Nice sounding phrases. Do I know what they mean? I do think I am beginning to understand more with my heart.

It is getting late and I need to sleep for now. I can share more later.

Until then, "May the God of Peace sanctify you (make you complete in Him) wholly."

Bringer of Peace

No comments: