Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Peace of mind

Monday is past. This is one time I am really glad that is true. As mentioned earlier I have been helping a lady friend who was sued by another person. This Monday the lawyers came and the other lady went through my friends place. She has been 'fearful' that my friend is 'stealing' her stuff. To prepare for this 'Monday' we separated my friend's things from the other lady's things. On Monday everyone watched as the other lady 'went through' my friend's things. If it hadn't been so serious it was at times funny - or maybe better put, pathetic. She took a dust pan and broom. She wanted my friend's turkey forks. There were many other smaller items she pulled out, indicating that she considered them her property. My friend also got to go through and indicate if there were any items she considered were hers. After that was over then the 'two sides' went back and forth on the 'contested' items. I haven't heard the final 'report' from today but I am hoping that most, if not all of the items, are taken care of so we can 'move on'

One lady who was writing the contested list item made the comment to me that it was like a couple of little kids. I agree with one exception. I think one of the 'kids' was very much a bully.

Previous to this - beginning maybe 6-7 years ago - this person had begged my friend to be her 'mother'. My friend had gradually laid aside her various means of support to help this lady and get her set up in business. But then, when the business was going good, suddenly the other person wanted nothing more to do with my friend, to the point of trying to evict her out on the street. It didn't work quite that way, but at this point in time there seems to be an out of court agreement and Monday's activities was an attempt at bringing 'a closing' to this nasty turn of events so my friend can 'move on' with her life as a writer and an artist.

My friend has signed a lease for another place to live. We have 'separated' her things and hopefully we will SOON get them packed and to the new location as soon as possible, now that it seems that the other side has agreed to the 'separations'.

But all of this has taken a toll. I guess I was pushing hard to get everything separated by Monday. Now that Monday is past I have sort of just been in neutral. For the past couple of weeks I have been struggling with a sore throat and laryngitis and I have got to slow down for at least a little while before we get to the 'final' move to get my friend into her new place.

Yet for all of the above I have a peace in my mind and heart that what we did was the best that could be done under the circumstances. I'm thankful, very thankful, for one shining attribute of my friend. She appreciates my help. We have had a few disagreements on 'technique', you might say. Yet, many times, even after I have left for the day she will call me to make sure I knows that she appreciates what I did to help her. I think that is one thing that has caused me to want to go the second mile for her.

Some other folks we have been trying to help recently, or so it comes across to me anyway, seem to almost consider that they are doing us a favor when we help them. I don't think they think that but the way they act seems that way at times.

We have been trying to 'juggle' space in the house next door. One lady has been living on a porch for a couple of years. She wants an inside room and I think we finally have one available. Yet, somehow, we have almost perceived the feeling that she believes she deserves it rather than what I have considered a job and a half to try to work things out so she could have it. (That does sound like maybe I have an attitude problem as well. I'm working on it.)

Back to this 'peace of mind' thought. I know God gives Peace. I also believe others can assist in giving peace. Lastly, it is up to me to decided what kind of peace I will 'have'.

May the peace of God flood your heart and life just now. Hey, just the fact that you have read this means you are special. Peace to you.


Bringer of Peace

No comments: