Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sweet Peace, the Gift of God's Love

"There comes to my heart one sweet strain,
a glad and a glorious refrain
I sing it again and again -
sweet peace, the gift of God's love.

Peace, peace, God's peace,
wonderful gift from above
Oh, wonderful, wonderful peace -
sweet peace, the gift of God's love."
Perhaps some of you have either heard that song of may even have sung it. It is one that I grew up with and have often sung throughout my days. The message is deep.

A dear friend of mine wished me a new portion of peace as my gift in the new year.
I thanked her very much for that wish and intend to present it to God for fulfillment.

Since many people celebrate my birthday every year I have come to a realization that receiving gifts may not be the best way - for me anyway - to 'remember' the gift of another year of life to me. Since I begin my new year of life at the same time the world celebrates 'Happy new Year', it is also a good time to consider what 'new' life can really be all about.

For those who are learning more about the Creator God of the Universe either a new year of life or a new calender year is a good time to review who God really is and what He is really like - which to me is what I call praising God. Some folks like to also make 'new years resolutions' making promise(s) to do or be different, hopefully in good ways, during the new year.

Even though our family was not really into making new years resolutions it was still a happy time for me with my birthday and new years day at the same time.

As time went on I began to find that if I could do something special for someone else I had even happier birthdays. I remember one year when we were in Africa I decided to make a hat for one of the farm workers whose clothes were - in our words anyway - rags. I still remember the happiness that brought to my heart as well as to our garden worker when we were able to share the hat with him. (Later we were also able to help him get some better clothes as well.)

Other years I have taken on other 'projects' with varying degrees of success.

This year, though, as I am sitting here writing this blog I am almost at a loss as to know how to continue my personal tradition of giving something special on my birthday to someone else.

Maybe a certain amount of 'human reality' has settled in. I would love to surprise my sister with an extra special portion of peace filled love. She has been so drained this year and when I spoke with her earlier today she sounded so weak and tired.

" Father in heaven, give my dear sister a special of Your Holy Spirit's loving, grace filled atmosphere - completely surrounding her with Yourself. You know that I cannot be with her in person, but You, Lord, can be both here and there. Also envelope her with You JOY to strengthen her for whatever lies ahead.

Then my mind wanders a little closer 'home'. As I look back over this past year I have many regrets as well as many times when I have had to apologize to others and to God for not being more like Him in my relations with others.

Just this week someone walked away from us seemingly with a spirit of 'good riddins, bad rubbish'. I had thought that we were helping, but evidently the feelings were not mutual.

Father in Heaven, you know the ache I feel when I think of that person. You know of the happier times when we prayed together, laughed together and worked in harmony. Forgive me where I may have failed. And Father, bless this person. You love them in ways that I have not yet attained too. Thank you for giving me the assurance, even in this experience, that You still love.

In the fall some folks asked us if we could find room to house a young man and his mother for a short time while they were dealing with some legal challenges. The legal challenge is still continuing on. The mother was gone for a while and just returned. This is one situation, from at least from a human standpoint, I suspect 'defeat'. I do believe I have learned some things about myself and even more about God during these days. But according to some others I have made more wrong decisions than otherwise. This evening in essence I said (perhaps more to myself that to others) "I'm wrong if I speak and wrong if I don't." If we try to be easy we are accused of being too much so. If we attempt to be 'firm' we are accused of . . . . . (fill in whatever you wish for the amount we have heard have been many).

Over the past seven or so years we thought we were being more like Jesus through endeavoring to help folks who we thought needed help by allowing or at times even inviting them to come to where we live in their time of need. But as I look back on our 'track record', I am having a difficult time finding any success story.

On the other hand, or so it appears at present, during the past few months instead of receiving additional aid - often from unexpected sources (as has happened for most of the seven or so years) - it has seemed our resources have dried up so that by December we were several thousand behind financially. Sad to say, when this situation became 'public' to those who were presently living here, the primary response seemed to be either 'what have you been doing with what we have been giving you' or 'if so and so didn't use so much of such and such we wouldn't have had this problem'. Sad to say, I have struggled in my heart with the temptation of discouragement now and then.

For the last couple of days or so I have also been struggling with appropriate ways of responding when the above situations arise or other accusations and 'mixed' messages come.

In my younger years we used to play a game of gossip. Someone would 'whisper' something to another person. That person would pass it on to another until the 'message' had gone through each person in the group. Then the message at the end was compared (or usually contrasted) with the 'first' message given. It could, at times anyway, turn out funny. But who needs 'soap operas' or even games of gossip? Reality can be much more intense than an hour a day of TV simulations or a round of the game of 'gossip'.

Enough of those kinds of lamentations. The thought keeps coming back to me that could it be a crisis had to happen in order to 'heal'? When everyone here was just rocking along, so to speak, even though they might not be happy, they were at ease. Could it be that the folks here had it pretty easy, so why should they want to leave and go elsewhere? Good question.

Especially during the past few months God has been pressing me to 'think bigger'. He has been challenging me to 'dream out of the box'. He has been urging me to thank Him for doing far more for us than I have thanked Him for in the past. When my husband and I began thanking God for supplying both financial and spiritual needs I think, looking back, that is when the 'crisis' surfaced, so to speak.

Can two walk together except they be agreed? No! God is in the business of revealing what is in people's hearts - ours included. How do people take it when challenged to change, maybe even to move? to do differently?

How do I respond when accused of a variety of motives that are not always pleasant? How do I respond when things are spoken about me that cannot be validated? Well, I wish I could say I have always acted like Jesus. On the other hand I do believe that when I have said I was sorry, God accepted and forgave whether people have or not.

The story goes on. But what does all of this have to do with Peace? Good question.

Do you notice God's kind of peace is a gift? Yes, it is.

Do you notice God's kind of peace is based on love? Yes, it is.

Do you notice God's kind of peace is sweet (precious)? Yes, it is.

Precious Lord, take my hand, lead me on, help me stand. I am tired, I am weak, I am worn. Through the storm, through the night, lead me on to the Light. Take my hand, precious Lord, Lead me home."
As this new year begins and a new year of my life begins, I am choosing to accept God's gift of His sweet peace into my heart, my life and pursue sharing God's peace with others.

That doesn't mean there won't be problems, or difficulties, or accusations thrown, or lies manufactured, or misunderstandings about our motives circulated. What it does mean to me is that God walks with me through each day and each event.

Even though I don't understand yet all that has happened, I am learning to know the One who does know. I am learning that I can cast my care on Him for He cares for me. I can also rejoice in His loving care for me as well as for others.

May I invite you, my friend, to accept the same gift of peace from God. It is as much for you as it is for me. Jesus loves you too!!

No matter who tells you otherwise, you are special in the heart of God. He loves you with an everlasting love and is drawing you to Himself even now.

One other thing about God's kind of peace. The more you share it with others the more capacity you will develop to receive more of God's peace in your own heart. That is awesome.

I am not planning to stay up til the world celebrates 'new year'. God's days begin in the evening so for me my birthday celebration has already begun.

And even though this may not be your birthday, please do me a special favor. Accept God's peace in your heart as a gift from me as well. That will make me happy to be able to pass God's peace on to you. Thanks a lot.

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope through the power of the Holy Ghost."



1 comment:

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Happy Birthday, my friend. A "peaceful' day and 'peace' for the year as you always try to be a 'peaceful' woman of God.

Love, Linda