Sunday, December 21, 2008

Covenant of Peace

I have been 'unpacking' Psalm 55 for a little while and have been seeking to understand the meaning and application of this passage in relation to me personally. The Bible was written for me so I want to know what it is saying to me personally.

In order to really understand Psalm 55 I am coming to the conclusion that I need to better understand God's plan when it comes to covenant. Eastern cultures have much more information concerning true covenants than those of us more 'western' oriented.

There is one fact that I am discerning more about a genuine covenant and that is that only 'death' can 'break' a covenant. I have listened to stories which have occured even in this day and time where those coming from more eastern type cultures still believe that 'death' is the only appropriate 'covenant breaker'.

Psalm 55 speaks of someone who broke a covenant. The consequences of 'death' was expressed in verse 15. Even though, in some circumstances, physical death does not immediately 'take place' it becomes evident that there can also be other severe consequences when a real covenant is broken. Exile is one alternative, also mentioned in v 15.

The more I have pondered this Psalm the more I am also hearing a heart cry from Jesus coming through. Jesus experienced the breaking of covenant when the new family He had just created (Adam and Eve) chose to break their covenant with Him in exchange for a 'new' relationship with God's archenemy, Satan who is also a slavemaster tyrant.

What awesome love, though, has been revealed through Jesus who came and reestablished every human being's capacity to become a 'new creature' with a 'new' covenant relationship with the Creator God of the Universe.

Psalm 55 ends with a declaration of confidence in the Eternal, Loving God of the Universe - "As far as I am concerned, I choose to be confident in God's love plan for me."
(To read the whole Psalm as I currently 'see it' see link to right titled paraphrases.)

"Let God carry the burden of what He permits to happen - we can't handle it - but He cares for You completely." That also is an awesome covenant declaration I can live with.

And in closing, verses 18-19 of Psalm 55 brings great encouragement to my heart. I have written it this way: "He has already given me His peace in my heart from this conflict because many others have petitioned the True God for me." Just think of it. We can also strengthen one another's confidence in a covenant keeping God's ability to keep His part of His covenant with us. Praise the Lord.

I serve an awesome God. And by the way, He loves you too.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: