Thursday, December 11, 2008

Peace in the Midst 7

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I began thanking the Lord for answering our needs, including financial ones. On December 2 our 'best' car was totaled in an accident. I do not believe God caused the accident, but I do thank God that there will be no more payments after the insurance settlement is completed. That is a blessing in 'my book'.

A few days ago the representative for the property where we live made an appointment to meet with us last night. (A few of you who know us are aware that at times, even though we are the 'managers' of the farm, it seems folks here pretty much do as they 'please' whatever we 'say'. )
We have gotten behind on the bills and four friends came from our church to see if they could help us work things out. That in itself we consider a God sent blessing. By the end of our time together we believe God led in not only the sharing but also in certain decisions that we were able to come to. We also feel good having more than us 'speaking'. There have already been 'sparks' in some respects but I believe God is in the business of saving not destroying. That confidence lends itself to peace in my heart.

At the end of last evening a letter was given to each one individually of decisions made relating to each person. As a group we tried to be as careful as possible in the wording so there would be no misunderstanding. By this morning, though, I found out that at least one person had totally misunderstood what the letter to them said. During the day more misunderstandings also became apparent. Yet through this whole experience I believe the Lord is leading. In my mind these happenings are also revealing what each person is really like - including us. I humbly thank God for these happenings even though they have been rough in some ways. On the other hand I have had a peace that God is using these very events to answer our prayer and praise.

One reason I believe God is in this is that instead of having to 'face' alone those who disagree with us, we now have a united 'group' that are all speaking the same thing. That has given peace - in my heart at least.

A man has to be here in Virginia on some legal matters for about three more weeks. As tension 'builds', partly due to the above mentioned decisions, this man's tension level has also been 'going up'. It is almost impossible for him to 'see' that he is 'stressed' out but the stress in him is there nonetheless. (One of his 'coping modalities is to almost always put blame on others as the cause of the stress.). I'm not totally sure how best to handle this kind of 'tension' but it sure appears to me like some of the squabbles seem very similar to a couple of little kids spatting. But when the 'feuding' and 'fussing' and 'fighting' is between physically 'grown' up people who mentally insist that they are 'mature', (of course it is the other person's fault), it gets to be sad, even disgusting (if not rather frustrating as well). I'm not sure how to see 'peace' in those events, but maybe when they are over and I can 'breathe a sigh of relief' there is an 'outward' peace. On the other hand, Jesus would not allow Himself to be drawn in to people's arguments but instead maintained the peace inside of Him that He gained daily from His heavenly Father. I do want to learn that lesson, and where better to 'learn' it other than right in the middle of it.

Interestingly enough, I wonder if I am also learning to not always 'speak'. Different people come to me and give me their 'sides'. The other night I think I listened for perhaps two hours. If I said more than a few sentences I was lucky. As I listened I was thinking that if I did say anything I would appear to be 'justifying' myself. Interestingly enough, for the most part anyway, I felt somewhat peaceful inside even though one of the people speaking was not in harmony with me (us). After a while the other person came to our 'defense' and I was almost surprised at some of the positive statements made. When we trust in God and choose His peace He has promised to keep us in His love and care and I believe He also comes to our defense.

There are times, though, when it is necessary to 'speak up'. I am claiming that God will grant me the discernment to know when to do which. Being in God's loving will brings peace - be it in silence or in speaking.

I need to get to get some rest tonight. Until next time may God's loving peace be with you and may God's peace be in your midst.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: