Saturday, August 23, 2008

Peace because of who God sees me as

Friday was a fast day in a hectic week. I don't have any young children to be getting off to school as it began in the 'public sector' this week in our part of the country. (Our son is presently in Michigan testing his 'wings', in a small way, trying to become more financially independent, but still slipping and sliding around a bit.) It seems that my challenges come because I tend to get myself into helping someone else who seems in more of a challenge than I am at the moment.

A lady had just recently gotten out of the hospital and I took some garden tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash and a watermelon over to her plus a few items from the food store. (I was needing to do some shopping myself so tried to combine trips when possible.) I made a trip to a nearby town to pick up mail for another friend who seems right on the verge of a 'breakthrough' with a large business venture. I also spent some time praising the Lord with her as she has shared with me progress reports. She ended up with extra tomatoes from her garden so shared a few with us. (We are enjoying tomatoes right now.) Before leaving her place rather late Friday afternoon I filled her ink cartridges in her printer so she could print out rough drafts of a book she has been writing (sounds very interesting what she has shared with me about it thus far) for editing as she might have opportunity. The beginning of God's holy Sabbath (God's sign of victory and our loyalty to Him) was soon to begin so before I left her place I stopped and played a few hymns on her piano ending with 'Day is dying in the west'. I left her place anticipating a quiet worship with my husband to begin these sacred hours set apart by God Himself from the first week of creation as my outward sign of loyalty to Him as I ended another week.

Even though the day had at times seemed pushed I did feel a sense of accomplishment as I headed home. I decided to take a short cut (sort of) but didn't slow down as I came into the town as I should have - until I saw the blue lights behind me. Talk about taking the air out of one's balloon, that is one good way to do it. Yes, I was speeding - I was guilty. On top of that when the officer wanted to see the car's papers I had a big trash bag in the front and had go around to the other side of the car to pull stuff out of the way to get to what he asked for. While he was checking whatever I just dropped to the ground beside the open door of the car and prayed.

Yes, I felt guilt and asked God to forgive me. I also felt despair and/or devastation inside of me. After a short time, though, God simply asked me "Who are you?" He did not ask me what I had done. That was forgiven as soon as I had asked. He did not even chide me - as I could hear a number of other voices trying to do. After a bit of silence, He asked again, "Olive, who are you?" Well, I am a lady. "True. What else" I am your daughter. "Very true! and therefore what does that make you?" I am a princess, because You, my Father, are the King of the Universe. "O.K. Now, accepting your answers, does what you 'do' or 'don't do' change who YOU ARE in my eyes? Or even, does what someone else do to you, or doesn't do to you change how I 'see' you and how much I love you, my daughter? Do I love you any less because you got a ticket?" No. "Did I love you more because you were helping some other daughters of mine who needed encouragement and help today?" No. "Are you going to trust Me now just like you sensed you were before you got stopped?"

At some time the officer came and gave me the ticket. I got back into the car but just sat there for a little while still pondering. I'll have to admit that I struggled for a few minutes, choosing to accept God's peace back into my heart. Yes, I had been guilty. But far more important was the fact that whether I am guilty or not does not/did not change who God sees me as, how much He truly loves me and delights for me to be in His presence which is what gives me both JOY and PEACE in believing. I had already chosen for Jesus to be in total control of me, so for me to refuse to accept His peace as I agreed with Him (confess) anew and He forgave me is not a good option. I choose His peace to return to be in me.

God's Joy/peace is not something I earned last night, but rather a gift He gave me because He loves me and I chose to be willing to accept Him - His love, JOY, PEACE, Light, His whole package, so to speak - in place of the guilt. Forgive = God gives me Himself for, or in place of sin and guilt.
Not only am I forgiven (a transaction between God and me including my choice to let go of or release 'sin' - any will other than God's will - and God's action to give me His love, joy and peace in exchange) but as I have let go of both the sin and the guilt He has 'taken it away', cleansed me.

The above experience is wonderful, but I was also reminded to fill my heart so there are no empty places left. I have learned several Psalms to music so I just spent a little time singing some of them as my way of focusing on who God really is and what He is really like (what praise includes). The following thoughts are from Psalm 34. And as you read may you choose to receive God's peace for You no matter how your past has gone. You are special in God's eyes. He loves you.


I will worship in word and song to the Creator, celebrating what He has done so even those who were depressed will hear and receive encouragement. Join with me in an increasing understanding our Creator and in exalting Him.

I reverently talked to my Creator. He carefully listened to me and took away my fears and anxieties. Everyone who sincerely looks to God will receive His JOY and not be left out.

When I was depressed I called out to the Lord. He attentively listened to me and set me free from all my difficulties. His messengers surround and properly equip those who submit to Him.

Use every one of your senses to perceive God's goodness. Those who choose to have an attitude of confidence in Him will prosper and be happy.You have been cleaned up by the Lord and consecrated to Him, so agree with Him. As you reverently submit to His will you won't lack or be deficient.


Be very careful that what you say is not deceptive, a lie or hurtful. Whole towns become destitute and hungry, but those who follow the Creator and worship Him will not fail of receiving what He sees is best for them.

Come families, attentively listen as I share how to properly and reverently submit to our Creator's will.
Do you want to live a really exciting life as well as live that way a long time?
>Stop doing anything bad and
>make sure all you do counts for good.
>Really strive to be peaceful, happy and friendly with others.

God is carefully watching those who have accepted His way of making them right and He attentively listens whenever they ask for help in any situation. (God can't take the same care for those who disagree with Him for they won't let Him. Even those who lived on earth with them will forget about them.)

When those who agree with God and have accepted His life in them let Him know their problems He intelligently listens and then takes them away from both their difficulties and their rivals.

Remember that Our Divine Example was afflicted in every way possible, but His Heavenly Father rescued Him, guarding and protecting Him so that He was not destroyed.

Spoiling God's plans by considering them as 'good for nothing' leads to death, as well as hating God's family (those who accept His will for them). Our Creator preserves His family and not a single one who confides in Him will perish.

May you accept God's peace - not because of circumstances, but because of who you are in Him.

Bringer of Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how are you?

Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!