Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life Lessons from David 2


Only a boy named David, only a little sling. Only a boy named David, but he could pray and sing Only a boy named David. Only a little brook, Only a boy named David, but five little stones he took. And one little stone went in the sling and the sling went 'round and 'round.' . . . And one little stone went up in the air, and the giant came tumbling down.
The song goes on to tell how God used David to kill Goliath, an enemy giant.

The story in the Bible goes into a little more detail on how David stunned Goliath with a stone from his sling and after the giant had fallen to the ground David ran up to him, took the giant's own sword and cut off the giant's head.

Israel considered David as the victor and made up songs to sing about this great act he had done. But it didn't take long for king Saul to get jealous of David's popularity. And it wasn't much longer before David found himself a fugitive. It is really quite an interesting story. Time after time Saul would send either the whole army or goodly amounts of troops out to chase David to kill him, but as David would consciously choose to ask God for deliverance, God would 'do it'.

One such time David had been finding some refuge in what sounds like a more obscure part of Saul's jurisdiction. There was a small 'family tribe' also in the area and evidently there had been some kind of communication between David and a group of men who were with him and this 'family tribe'. Someone in the 'family' decided they ought to 'tattle' on David so messengers were sent to Saul to let him know they knew where David was hiding. Evidently David got wind of the treachery and was able to again 'escape' from Saul's forces.

From this particular experience David took the time to 'write' (journal). Psalm 54 is one part of what he wrote. I have done some study of it and have found it very applicable for me even now.

As you read ask God to show you any life applications in your life even today.

A lively chorus to teach one specific thing, after spies told Saul David's hideout.

O God, listen carefully to me and make the right decision. And please, use Your
authority and power to set me free. People with no respect for You have harassed me, treated me terrible and have now turned traitor. (Pause in music)

How Awesome are You, my Sovereign! You are the same One who helps those who help me and YOU will turn back and make good for nothing those who are against me so that they will as good as vanish, while I trust You. I lift up my hands in spontaneous praise to You, My God, for how good You really are.

You snatch me away from every rival and enable me to see who is really against me.

I don't really know any individual who has been a complete traitor against me but for sure I know the devil is more than happy to orchestrate that kind of experience for me if I let him.

The 'ONE' thing I picked up though was that after describing the problem just very briefly and giving himself time to take a 'deep breath' David broke into a chorus of JOY. Looking at who God really is and what He is really like brings me into such a connection with the Creator God that He can do for me what He might not be able to do if I didn't ask Him.


David eventually became king of Israel but it wasn't because he outsmarted Saul. David was loved by God because he kept practicing his trust in the Creator.

We aren't sons and daughters of God because of how smart we are, or how beautiful, or how wealthy, or how many good things we do, or any other external.

God loves me, and you, because He made us. And what brings the greatest joy to His heart of love is when we accept that He really does love us and then choose to trust that He will only allow in our lives what He sees is for our best good as our loving 'heavenly Father'.

When we choose to receive God's love and trust Him then the gift of His peace flows into us as well. "Now the God of hope fill you with all JOY and PEACE in believing that you may abound in hope through the power of the Holy Ghost."

Bringer of Peace

No comments: