Thursday, March 6, 2008

Peace because of who God sees me as

I have been contemplating some things Jesus said in the area of peace as well as looking at His example. Just before He went into the wilderness where Satan would 'tempt' Him, God the Father declared who Jesus was by saying "This is My Beloved Son in whom I am well pleased". Satan heard those words and determined to get Jesus to either 'forget' or in some way or another 'disagree' with them. In a sense every temptation was aimed at that goal. Satan wanted to get Jesus to think of Himself as 'bigger' than what God had said and do something God had not 'planned' - turn stones into bread to 'save' His human life. Then Satan tried to get Jesus to 'jump'. As a son, Jesus was showing total respect and confidence in who God said Jesus was and as such He would not so much as give a nod to Satan's temptation to 'forget' who He really was - the Son of God and as such respect His heavenly Father's authority and plans for Him. Finally, I think in desparation, Satan attempted to take the place of the Creator, Father, God and have Jesus 'worship' him. Jesus again showed the devil, the world and the universe that He know who He was and who His Father was as well as His relationship to God as the Son of God and at the same time as God himself who would worship no other entity.

Throughout Jesus' whole life Satan continued to hound Him to try to get Him to think, talk or act in a way that would indicate that He either didn't believe who He really was or had forgotten. At the evening of the last supper with His disciples He again reviewed the evidence of who He really was. Then He made, what might have been considered by some anyway, as rather surprising declarations, not only about Himself but also about His special disciples. He told them that He whom they called their Master, and He was, was making them the judges of the house of Israel and they were sit on thrones judging Israel. Then it seemed that He turned right around and told them that they would forget who they were. Jesus told them that He considered them His loyal friends but then He seemed to contradict Himself by telling them that they would all 'run away' that very night. Sounds rather contradictory - and I have considered it such for most of my life. But then Jesus said something that began to make the whole 'talk' more meaningful. Put in my words, here is the idea. Jesus told them they were judges but they would forget who they were for a while. Jesus told them that they were His most loyal friends but they would get scared out of their wits and forget their loyalty - even that very night. BUT (and this is so important) Jesus knew that they would have time to 'think' about their 'lack of loyalty' and 'lack of judgment' - because they had forgotten who they really were and who Jesus really was (but He didn't forget) - and when they would come back to their 'senses', when they would remember who Jesus said they were - His most loyal friends and judges of the house of Israel - they were to strengthen others.

That kind of a God gives me so much hope. And that kind of a hope - especially when looking forward to uncertain times ahead - that gives the kind of Peace only God can give. God isn't interested in 'making' us go through a time of trouble. Jesus didn't 'want' to die just for the 'fun of it'. Jesus did it for the JOY of knowing that we could be His sons and daughters. Jesus came to show us how to 'stay' in His JOY and in His PEACE. Jesus calls us His family. Wow! What love!

When things get tough, rough, topsy turvy, mean, down and dirty or worse God is not asking me to look at that. God is doing everything in His power to get me to 'remember' who He said that I already am. I have given myself to Jesus and by His power added to my choice chosen to accept His declaration that says I am princess because I belong to His family. So long as I stay in that mindset then the outward troubles cannot overwhelm me. That is not saying I won't have trouble. The devil thought 'trouble' would cause Jesus to 'forget' who He really was. In the past that has often worked on me so most likely the devil will try again. But praise the Lord, so long as I stay in Jesus, He - Jesus -can enable me to remember who I really am in Him, which also enables Him to reveal to others more about what He is like also.

There is another aspect that has been opening to my mind. A lot of people have a false image of who the real Creator God is and what He is like. I know I have had some false ideas in the past as well. One of the most effective ways God has of revealing who He really is and what He is really like is as His character is reproduced in those who have chosen to accept His power in them to transform them into His image. It is making more and more sense that the closer a person comes to looking like Jesus the angrier the devil may get and the harder he may try to get that person to forget who he or she really is - a son or daughter of the Creator God.

This brings JOY to my heart though to realize that God's peace is in my heart so long as I keep focusing on who God says that I am and accepting it, believing it, sharing it with others and praising God with confidence for His good work in me.

You can have that same experience. Jesus has already made up His mind about you. He loves you and already chooses you as one of His children. As you agree with Him He breaks into singing along with the heavenly angels. His peace, which passes the ability for me to explain fully to you will come into your heart as you accept, simply, that not only does Jesus love you but He died in your place and gives you His life as a free to you Gift.

Each day, and it helps even more to remind yourself every hour, review who God says that you really are. Review what Jesus did and said that reinforces that concept. You are blessed. You are His child. We can 'live' in His peace because of who He sees we are - His family.

It isn't the coming 'collapse' that I fear the most. If I forget who God says I am, that is worse.
But it ISN'T necessary for one moment - Jesus proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. I can keep choosing to remember who Jesus said I am all the time. So can you.

Thanks for listening.

Bringer of Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I recently got an email from a friend at church re this very thing. Seems appropriate for this time in my life. =) I have attached it for you.

-----------------------------

A lot of days don't you feel like Simba in The Lion King? Simba's evil uncle (the enemy) has led him to believe that he's alone in the world, he has failed in such a way that he can never be forgiven, and he no longer has a purpose or identity. Simba believes that he has to live out his days in the jungle as a failure. One night as he sits next to a lake, he hears his father's voice say, "Remember who you are." Suddenly Simba sees a reflection in the water of who he truly is, a strong, courageous lion who is the rightful heir to the kingdom. He receives his true identity and takes off to fulfill his destiny of restoring life to the kingdom.

Our loving Father gave us hundreds of Scriptures of who we are in Christ. Over and over he is saying through the Word, "Remember who you are. You are a reflection of me." Take some time to gaze into the Living Water and see the reflection of who you are.

You are Abba's child.
Gal. 4:6 Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."
He is Abba, Father.
Rom. 8:15 You received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

You are on the winning side.
Col. 2:15 Having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
He is the victorious warrior.
Exo. 15:3 The LORD is a warrior; the LORD is his name.

You are crowned with love and compassion.
Psalm 103:4 ... who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion...
He is a glorious crown.
Isa. 28:5 The Lord Almighty will be a glorious crown.

You are rich in his grace.
2 Cor. 8:9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor...
He is God of all grace.
1 Peter 5:10 The God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ... will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

You are free from condemnation.
Rom. 8:1 There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...
Jesus is the friend of sinners.
Mat. 11:19 The Son of Man [is] a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."

You are heard.
Is. 65:24 Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.
He is God who hears.
Ex. 22:27 When he cries out to me, I will hear...

You are seen by God.
Ps. 33:13-14 The LORD looks... he sees all the sons of men. He looks on all the inhabitants of the earth.
He is God who sees (Elroi).
Gen. 16:13 You are the God who sees me...

You are prayed for.
John 17:20 My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
He is your intercessor.
Heb. 7:25 He always lives to intercede for them

You are filled with joy.
John 17:13 ... that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.
He heals the brokenhearted.
Ps. 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.

Your hope is fixed.
Rom. 15:4,13 ... so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Jesus is your hope.
1 Tim. 1:1 ... of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope...

You are satisfied.
Isa. 58:11 The Lord ... will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land.
He is satisfaction.
Ps. 107:9 He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

You are not afraid.
Ps. 27:1 The LORD is the stronghold of my life- of whom shall I be afraid?
The LORD is your light and your salvation.
Ps. 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?

You have authority to overcome.
Luke 10:19 I have given you authority to ... overcome all the power of the enemy.
He has all authority.
Matt. 28:18 All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

You are a tree planted by streams of water.
Jer. 17:8 He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream.
He is the Living Water.
John 7:37-39 Whoever believes in me... streams of living water will flow from within him. By this he meant the Spirit...

Remember who you are ...