Friday, November 23, 2007

Joy and Peace in Believing - 2

It seems it has taken some time and effort to even begin to understand what Psalm 33 is saying but the longer I have been 'unpacking' it - both looking up meanings and attempting to read in context - there seems to be coming more continuity. There have been some 'surprises', but it is almost like I am beginning to look for them - the surprises that is, as little fountains of joy.

My older brother gave me some very good suggestions when doing this kind of study. He mentioned that there are really three ways the translators would use when looking at th Bible in the original language. The most common was simply to 'translate' - usually word for word - from one language to another. Another tool that they used was to consider how the word was used in the phrase. Many times there are phrases in a language that carry a different meaning than if each word were used individually. (That is very true in the English language, I know. A horse runs fast (quickly). That shirt is color fast (the colors won't run or get washed out), A person is on a fast (they are not eating). The third way that translators used, especially with passages that otherwise were difficult (or impossible) to do 'word for word' was to use illustrations to get the point across that the original writers seemed to be aiming at.

In Psalm 33 all three ways seemed to be used. Verse 17, however, seemed somewhat out of place in some respects until I looked at it as an illustration.
17 An horse [is] a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver [any] by his great strength.

The hebrew meaning for the word horse is: to skip (properly for joy), leaping, flight - like a swallow (from its rapid flight),

After asking the Lord for His meaning and attempting to see the context my present understanding of that verse has developed at present into: 17. Always being busy or working super fast won't necessarily produce true satisfaction even with good organization and sufficient help to carry out the plans.

I'm still learning so even this may change
The whole chapter is at the paraphrase link, if you are interested my present understanding.

Since beginning to write Psalms in my own words I have been blessed. There is joy involved when I discover some 'hidden' meanings, especially when they are so applicable to my life at present.

There is also a peace as I have been seeing new pictures of the Creator God of the Universe.

It seems a whole lot easier to believe the Creator God as I learn more about Him.

I am writing this during hours I call Sabbath. It is a special time to share with God and about Him. The Sabbath too is meant to be Peace and Joy producing.

May the God of Peace share with You in a special way as you have allowed me to share with you.

Bringer of Peace.

No comments: