Monday, June 4, 2007

Peace in Growing up

I just finished looking at Psalm 7 again (if you are interested in the updated results you can go to the 'paraphrase' link listed on the side Paraphrases by Maiden, Bringer of Peace ). I went back to it after thinking about it for a while and got a clearer picture - to me anyway. I had also shared some thoughts about it with my brother who often helps me to see things clearer. One of my favorites is the last verse: 17. I will throw up my open hands to You, O Self-Existent One because You have made things right. I will sing praise to honor the authority and love based character of You who are the Supreme, Self-Existent God who is above all creation. That word 'praise' in the KJV in this particular usage has to do with raising open hands to God in honor of who He is. Wow! This morning I looked at Psalm 13 also. It is short but powerful. I have also added my paraphrase to Paraphrases by Maiden, Bringer of Peace. At first glance it almost seemed that David was complaining. But the more I unpacked the meaning the more I realized that David, although starting out wondering why God wasn't listening to him, came to the conclusion it was more of the case that David wasn't listening to God. On second thought I'll share my 'take' here.
Psalm 13 On permanent file, a celebration in song written by David.
1. How long, O Self-Existent One, will You ignore me? What is Your goal? What will it take to get You to pay attention to me?
2.So, how long will I keep giving myself directions and getting in trouble all the time? How long will those who hate me get the best over me?
3. O, Supreme heavenly Father, please look at me and listen to what I am saying. Enable me to see the way you see, or else I may die.
4.Otherwise those against me will say ‘I won’ and celebrate when I make mistakes or do the wrong thing.
5.But I’m hurrying back to you and find refuge in your kindness; Every part of me celebrates that You set me free by Your love.
6. Wow! I will sing to my heavenly Father because HE is growing me up.

Somehow I think this has to do not only with contrasts but with coming to peace. Great Peace have they which love Thy law - which is a picture of who God is - and nothing shall offend them. Praise God. Bringer of Peace.

No comments: