Sunday, June 17, 2007

Peace and JOY

I received some challenging news last evening. Someone very dear to me is being attacked. My hubby and I presented them to the Lord before going to sleep. This morning I spent some time 'unpacking' Psalm 16. I had already done a limited 'word study' and was re-reading it to put it in my own words. As I completed paraphrasing it I believed that it was also a message for the 'one' dear to me who the devil is attempting to 'crush' through others who are envious of him.

Following is my 'paraphrase' of Psalm 16 for anyone who wishes to consider it. (I have also posted it at my paraphrase blogspot - see side bar.) In the King James Version verse 11 reads "Thou wilt show me the path of life, in Thy presence is fullness of JOY, at Thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore". I had learned that verse also as a scripture song so it was rather familiar to me. But this time as I spent more time on it the context became even more interesting. Following the paraphrase I will include the KJV with definitions from Strong's Concordance for the last two verses.

1. A permanent poem written by David. Take care of me, Almighty God, for I have confidence in You.2, 3. My heart said to You, my Creator God: "I am not comparing my goodness with You, my Sovereign, rather to Your family here on earth and to those who are special to me. 4. Those who 'go with the flow' and get behind shall have a lot more sorrow. What they make more important than You I won't even mention with my mouth."5. My Creator God is my inheritance and He takes care of me.6. I accept this covenant as agreeable. Yes, I consider this to be extremely good.7. I kneel before my Creator who advises me; my 'inner self' also corrects me at night.8. I have chosen to always be guided by My Creator God so I won't waver.9. It gives me intense pleasure knowing I can trust Him.10. You, Creator God, won't leave me in demanding situations to be overcome by horrible messes.11. Your guidance leads me to be with You, giving me real JOY. This is the best place I can ever be.

In the following KJV quotes are in black and Strong's definitions are in red.
10 For thou wilt not leave loosen, relinguish, permit my soul breathing creature, vitality, in hell inquire, request, demand; neither wilt thou suffer give, put, make, thine Holy kind, pious, courtesy to an equal, One to see corruption sink, bow down, incline, humble, a pit, destruction
11 Thou wilt show ascertain by seeing, know, me the path to travel, well trodden road, caravan, of life alive, raw, fresh, strong: in thy presence before the face [is] fulness satisfaction of joy brighten up, blithesomeness, glee, intense pleasure; at thy right be right, be on right hand side, stronger side hand [there are] pleasures agreeable, delightful for evermore. Glitter, eminent, permanent

I realize that verse 10 does apply as a prophecy concerning Jesus. I also believe that whatever promises applied to Jesus when He lived here on earth as a human can also be applied to those who choose to belong to Him as His sons and daughters.

My present definition of Peace includes being so comfortable in someone else's presence that I feel at rest and confident they have my best in mind. I believe the above Psalm portray's that. And as a result of that confidence in God I also receive true JOY - not just now but ever onward.

Sounds good to me. Now to keep myself focused on that reality as God sees it for me.

We have much to do today so will 'go' for now.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: