Saturday, March 7, 2009

Joy and Peace 'happens' when . . .

God's original plan for family as described in Genesis, and expanded in other places in the Bible, never intended that a person should have to 'make it' alone. Somewhere, though, many of us have imbibed of the lie that in order to 'make it' (whatever that happens to mean) a person has to somehow do it or go it alone.

Proverbs talks about a friend who sticks closer than a brother or sister. It also mentions that a three fold cord is not easily broken. It is really a sad commentary that especially in our secular (some refer to also as western) culture it has almost been touted as a virture to 'make it alone'. In my biological family I have a sister in the southwest, a brother in the northwest, another sister in the southeast and a brother in the midwest, USA. In some cultures the extended family still has some ties, but for some of us those ties have gotten quite thin, if not broken altogether.

There are some things a person has to face alone, yes. But by and large that kind of a scenario should only happen - if at all necessary - after a person has been brought to maturity the way God intended in His kind of family setting. Even though God's plan for family has been sadly, badly twisted in many places, I believe God still intended each person should have a support system of family - in our system we might call them grandparents, parents, uncles and aunts, brothers and sisters, cousins and more. But because the family system has been often so badly mangled, God has been working to establish 'christian' family, also called church, to restore and give support for each other.

A friend of mine has been through some VERY rough experiences the past few days. (Actually I should say several of my friends have been 'hit hard' this past week with a variety of challenges.) I have been so grateful when each one has been willing to let me know they are struggling. Some friends have been willing to call me and we have had the distinct privilege of claiming God's promises for them as we prayed together on the phone. One friend has been able to share some challenges via email. When this has happened, I have several times been able to pray with folks who are struggling with spiritual battles. I can pray - claiming God's unfailing words - whether or not we are talking 'live'. I may not be in the midst of a super challenge myself - at the moment - but I consider it a distinct privilege given to me by God to be able to claim God's unfailing promises for my friends when they are being stressed. I hope that my words have also been encouragement to them whether written or spoken.

As one advantage of sharing one another's burdens I have watched some miracles take place. I have also been practicing claiming God's promises in ways that I have a feeling I will be needing for myself some time. God never promised we would have no problems. He did promise never to leave us or forsake us. But when you are in the middle of a BIG problem it sure can help when someone has compassion (comes along side with God's kind of passion). When you hear a human voice, or read an email from someone you know cares about you, reminding you that God's word does not return to Him empty but He will accomplish what He has promised, I believe that is part of God's plan for His kind of family.

Another truth I have just been reviewing the past few days is that true joy - experiencing that another mind loves for you to be with them - can only happen when you are in connection with another mind. The same is true for confiding, peaceful rest - experiencing that another mind is so safe that you can confide in them and rest in their presence. And the more you learn and experience true JOY and confiding PEACE with another mind, your capacity to cope with life and with the stresses of living on planet earth increases.

Since real JOY and genuine PEACE, as mentioned above, can only develop when two minds synchronize and are in harmony it becomes even more important for each one of us to 'take time' for friendship.

When I described the above scenario of joy and peace producing relationships to someone the other day they thought about it for a moment and then commented that they weren't sure they had ever had that happen to them in their life.

I don't know about your life but if you have read this far I just want to tell you: God loves you and is delighted for you come spend time with Him. He is the greatest joy builder in the universe as well as the wellspring to true peace for all of life's challenges.

And if you would like to learn more about God's plans to build you up in joy and peace, feel free to ask. I don't have all the answers but I will be happy to share what I have learned.

Bringer of Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Olive,
I just wanted to thank you for this post. It helped solidify in my head some of the things that God has been confirming today through a dear friend, Cindy.
If you read my post "Nip it in the bud" you will know that I experienced some attack late this past week. I know the enemy was trying to infiltrate a relationship that God has used to build my joy capacity, and a relationship that has pointed me, and kept me on the road to healing.
My friend Cindy left a comment, and then later today as we talked on the phone, blessed me immensely. She has been someone with whom I have been able to synchronize with... and it has been mutual. She reassured me today that regardless of what others might think, she would let me know if I were becoming dependent on her... (see the post and you'll understand) And she took the time out of her busy day to pray with me and reassure me.
So I know of what you speak, of joy and peace coming when two really connect. And I know that God has used my friendship with Cindy and others to show me a reflection of how much joy and peace He will/can/does give me.
Thank you so much for sharing.
God bless,
Heather