Friday, January 23, 2009

Options for Peace - or otherwise

The more I have been 'digging' into the Psalms the more fascinating they are becoming to me.
I've read all of them due to the fact that I have read the whole Bible through a number of times, but some of the messages were either unclear or completely 'missed' by me before. Psalm 59 is one good example of 'not getting the message' by a surface reading.

I have posted the paraphrase of Psalm 59 to the right (click the paraphrase link) but I'll add a few comments here about the content as well.

The notes at the beginning of Psalm 59 indicate David had been chased by Saul - even out of his own house.

For those who have read of some of Saul's 'dealings' in regards to David, the Psalm has quite a bit of meaning. But it also has some very pertinent thoughts and applications for today.

David took what people said seriously (for the most part anyway). In this passage he has quite a bit to say negatively about some people's words. Here are examples.
6 – 7 Like a pack of dogs prowling around at night, they growl and are boisterously fierce. Their words, like garbage, gush out sharp and acrid because they think “who cares?”.

Here is another one.

14 – 15 O.K. Let them loudly growl and noisily complain, like a pack of dogs prowling around at night as they wander outside the protected place – grumbling because they aren’t satisfied.

Those against David evidently weren't what you might call 'good' stock.

But even after all of that, David turned his eyes back on His heavenly Protector and ended this poem in triumph.

16 But I will celebrate Your conquering boldness with singing. Yes, I will shout with rejoicing in the morning about Your goodness and faithfulness. You have been my stronghold and way of escape when my enemies were after me. 17 I make joyful music to You, God, for You are my benevolent, Love Power.


We, too, can turn our eyes from the frustrations and complications that may face us and choose to celebrate God's conquering boldness with singing and shouts of joy.


I invite you to join me in praising the Lord especially during the upcoming hours of the Sabbath.


May God speak especially good to you as you lift your thoughts to how wonderful He really is and how awesome is His lovingkindness to all of us.


Bringer of Peace




No comments: