Thursday, January 15, 2009

Peace and Quiet - for a few days maybe

Tomorrow is the last day of my hubby's current job. They are going to have a little special 'dinner' for him and I have been invited which is nice.

Since God is not dependent on a job to take care of our needs in some respects we are looking forward with a certain amound of 'awe' as to what God is planning for us. I've asked the Lord if there is a 'job' I should be looking to do for pay. It seems I keep plenty busy most of the time - but not for what the world calls 'pay'. At this point in time that doesn't seem to yet be on God's revealed agenda.

Rather, I got a letter last week inviting me to share the wonderful news about God with some children in Tennessee during a 'long' weekend when the adults will be receiving spiritual food also. Then I got a phone call today asking if we might be available to teach in south west Virginia during the last week in January. Well, my hubby is not tied down to a 'paying job' so we said yes to both.

In the meantime, there are less people here, which tends to reduce the hubbub somewhat. I did get a call from two former residents today asking questions. One I could take care of quickly. The other one got quite interested in the training week in south west Virginia and seemed interested in possibly attending. I gave her the number of the director. Hope all goes well.

Our son is trying to work things out to go to Michigan this next week to see his girl friend's parents. Two less people here should bring even more quiet - for a few days anyway.

With less people here it has been interesting how those left seem to be 'watching' the expenses more, for which we are grateful. We do have a gas heater in the other house but the folks there have been trying to keep the wood stove running as well which definitely reduces the use of the gas. Thus far the gas bill has stayed a bit lower than other years, Thank God.

There is another kind of Peace and quiet, though, that I have been looking for intently as well as a 'quiet' farm. Some of my other blogger friends have been speaking of the kind of peace found when a person takes specific time with getting to know who God really is and what He is really like. Yes, that is what I have been aiming at as well and I believe God is aiding me in that search through many means.

Starting perhaps a couple weeks or so ago I was challenged with a loss of my voice as well as some other 'ill' symptoms. It hasn't seemed to have been a typical 'flu' or 'cold' but I have had a cough that doesn't sound good as well as 'aching' off and on, depending on several factors. I thought I was doing better but today was a 'down' day. I slept more or less a good share of the day and tonight I think I am feeling better. To be honest, when I have been awake I have been talking to the Lord on a number of subjects probably more than a typical day. I do thank the Lord that He can listen and communicate with me any time day or night.

I do hope to get to bed somewhat early this evening - and hoping that the extra rest and quiet will help strengthen me for tomorrow and on.

Right now hubby and son are adding extra antifreeze to the two cars as it may get down in the single digits or lower tonight and tomorrow night as well.

Sometimes the colder weather seems a little quieter. We haven't had much snow yet this year (there were a few flakes today) but somehow a quiet snowfall often gives a sense of peace to the body - if it isn't 'overdone'.

Whether your weather is cold or otherwise, whether you have a lot of people around or just a few (or none) keep in mind that God's kind of peace can be everywhere and all the time.

Great peace those have who love God and nothing will offend them. Praise the Lord.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: