Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Boot camp training experiences

Have you ever felt as though any option you had was not conducive to the 'best' outcome?

Have you had someone get angry when you told them you forgave them?

Could it be that the way we look at a situation could be the 'real problem', not so much what is actually 'going on'.

I had a wonderfully edifying phone exchange with my brother this morning. As quite often is the case he challenges me to think differently about current events - my current events, not what the world calls 'current events'.

He knows in the past I have 'taught' others - often children - about the 'armor of God' and what some of the meanings for one's spiritual life can be. But rather than just 'rehashing', my brother suggested God's 'boot camp' experiences may be quite 'different' than what we might have previously conceived. Our son had recently been in 'army' boot camp so we discussed some of the 'contrasts' as they came to our minds. I wish I could have written more of it down as we talked but some of the suggested concepts are still tossing about in my head throughout this day.

1. Most activities at boot camp are aimed at producing unity of action amongst a 'group of people'.
The people in bootcamp march together, eat together, work together, study together and hopefully learn to cooperate in all aspects of their lives. When there is a battle it is not 'good' to have some 'maverick' out there doing 'his own' thing. As most good generals know, in unity there is a much greater opportunity for 'victory'.

2. Spiritual warfare deals with the mind, therefore the weapons are not physical.
God is looking for people who have matured spiritually to the level where they can not only 'put on' the armor of God but also have practice in 'using it' God's way.

3. God's weapons are not of this world.
If God's weapons are not of 'this world' than might they look 'odd' or even possibly 'wrong' to a person who is not 'spiritually minded.

4. The purpose of God's weapons are not the same as 'worldly' weapons.
Worldly weapons destroy. When our son was on the 'shooting range' it was with the express purpose to get enough practice with a given weapon so that some form of 'enemy' could be 'done away'. When we were talking after his days at boot camp, our son mentioned that a primary purpose 'drilled' in to them was not 'help' so much as 'kill'.

God is called the Prince of Peace. Why then so much 'talk' about 'war', 'battles', 'weapons', etc.?

If there was that question in my mind after I got off the phone this morning it didn't have long to be answered. Soon I had opportunity to 'see' a need for 'boot camp 'training' especially for me.

There were several folks here this morning. [Two of them leaving this afternoon - to another place nearby for a few days. Two of them are packing and moving to Tennessee.] They asked me to join them in worship as it mighty possibly be the last time we would be together, so I did. At the end of the prayer time one brother asked forgiveness if he had done anything wrong to anyone there. My mind was thinking along those lines too, but about another one leaving who had not seemed to appreciate (or maybe even comprehend) that his temporarily staying at our place was supposed to have been to help him. I have been challenged on a spiritual level in a number of areas by this man as well as 'hurt' by some of his actions and attitudes. Anyway, I decided, for my sake, to forgive him for hurting me. !!!! (BOOT CAMP TRAINING IN ACTION) Forgiveness is more for my heart than for the one I am forgiving. I do know telling him I forgave him resulted in all kinds of accusations etc. at me. I agreed to 'back off' and 'not show my face' again (since they were leaving soon), but I really, in a way, feel sorry for him even more than I did before. I do pray he will realize he needs Jesus and can't 'make it' by himself.

As anyone in boot camp knows, training is not 'easy' for there is much to learn in a short time.

Another aspect of spiritual 'warfare' is 'trusting' our Prince of Peace. Will we 'fall apart' or 'give up' if we don't have proper 'remuneration'? Beginning today we have a 'golden' opportunity to prove God's faithfulness for our main income is being terminated. I am determined to stay on God's side as we begin this new chapter of our lives, thanking Him for supplying our needs.

Someone recently asked us how we would survive without as many people living at the farm. I believe God will take care of us now just as much as he did when there were many here.

Other training events are ongoing, but my time is running out to 'report'. Until next newscast, keep your eyes on our wonderful Prince of Peace and He will 'keep you' in His love.

By the way, I just posted Psalm 57 in the Paraphrases link to the right, if you are at all interested. It has a VERY inspiring message from young David. It might even have something for you right now.

May God speak His peace to your heart.

Bringer of Peace

1 comment:

Our Sword said...

I like your perspectives. I think you're so right about our Armor of God being used not as weapons to hurt, but as instruments of peace. God's spiritual warfare seems the exact opposite of our wordly warfare.