Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Guided by the God of Peace

Not everything that happens is peaceful or even peace producing. We are in a war. Sometimes it seems that we are 'living' on the battle ground or even the front lines. No one in a war can sit back and think all is peaceful and calm even though for the moment it may appear that way.

What is more challenging is that this war is not with flesh and blood. The war began long ago and the opposing forces began formation even before this earth was created. On the one side, headed by the Captain of the Lord's Hosts - Jesus Christ, also called Michael - is the eternal God of the Universe and His loyal subjects. The opposition forces are made up of all who choose any will other than God's will for them - both angelic and human.

Paul said that God's army is fighting against principalities and powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world and spiritual wickedness in high places.

Even though we are not fighting 'flesh and blood', needless to say humans are very much involved in this war. Each individual is on one side or the other of this war. Not only is each person on each side, their individual decisions have much to do with the spiritual battle waging all around us. Their decisions can 'make' or 'break' a battle. That is pretty significant, I'd say.

For those of you who know us, (perhaps all too well) we agreed to help a young man who got extradited to this area on some legal charges (hopefully for only a few weeks.?). Shortly after he arrived his mother came to see if she could be of any help. They have been a blessing and a big help to us while they have been here. But this is also where things have gotten 'rather interesting', to put it mildly.

It seems that the 'war' has become much more clearly defined, in my mind anyway, especially during the past week or so. I also believe that I am getting a better idea of what God was talking about when He told us to put on HIS armor. God wants us to prosper and be in health, even as our souls prosper. That has also become all the more clear to me these past few days.

To make a long story (continuing at present) short, I pray that God will get us through today. Tomorrow the young man goes to court. My prayer desire is that the charges will be dropped. I don't believe he is guilty as charged. On the other hand, having gotten to know him better these past few days I am convinced that far more is involved in this case than simply a legal charge.

As I have tried to share with both the young man and his mother the need for them to focus their minds primarily on what God is really like and what He has already done - my definition of 'Praise' - it has been amazing how much more of a picture of the God of Peace has become clearer to me

I shared with them a short quote that has been a blessing to me these past months. I posted it on the poster link but the words are:
"I saw we must be daily
rising and keep the ascendancy above the powers of darkness. Our
God is mighty. I saw singing to the glory of God often drove the
enemy away, and praising God would beat him
back and give us the victory."

One of my friends felt that the word praise could be better changed to 'trust'. I don't have any problem with that. I guess for me the word praise (using the definition I gave earlier) seemed to me to be something I could wrap my mind around better. I have been able to focus on attributes of God and activities of God - which I understand is what praise means - somehow a little bit better than I have yet been able to 'define' the word 'trust'. But if trust works for my friend, great.

Anyone who reads this, would you please pray that God will have mercy on this young man so he can be released from bond and return to his home out west. As I said earlier I believe the charges stem from what the accuser did to this young man and then blamed it on him because he was too much of a coward to admit he was wrong. The young man has been trying to 'think' positive, but on the other hand he has also been doing some rather 'foolish' (in my eyes anyway) things. I was hoping that he would just stay home today but he 'couldn't do it'. He has gone somewhere and I just pray that he will 'make it' to the court tomorrow without getting into any more 'mess' than what he is already in.


This is not the only thing going on right now here on the farm. We have still slowly been packing with plans to move soon. Because of the financial unrest our plans seem to be slowed down a bit, but I still believe the God of peace is in control. There is another lady who may get evicted shortly after the tenth of November so I am praying that a house she is working to complete a sale on will go through as planned in November.


On a much more joyful note, November 10 is coming up very quickly. On that day my husband and I will have been married 34 wonderful years. There have been some 'bumps' on the way but God has abundantly blessed more than we could have wished, dreamed or thought.

We were married on a beautiful autumn day in north Georgia. After the wedding the reception was on the lawn of the minister's house who performed the ceremony. I was told that about 200 people came to celebrate with us. Some friends supplied beautiful yellow and gold mums to help beautify the church. One of my sisters was my bride's maid and another friend was the best man. Some of the ladies in the church made the most beautiful 'fruit cake' I have ever seen in my life. It consisted of three tiers of several colors of grapes, apples and oranges with white and gold mums circling the center pole holding the tiers. That is still a precious memory. But the marriage has been far more than a memory. It is alive and well today because of the love of God that has been revealed to us, through us and for us.

I have more to do today so need to go for now. Until we meet again may the God of peace guide you too.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: