Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sabbath day of Peace

Even though God's peace begins on the 'inside', He has also given a symbol of His peace in a specified period of time every week. When God completed the creation of this world He said it was very good.

The whole loyal universe had been watching as more of the character of the Creator God through His actions had been displayed during the creation of this world. When He announced that He was done and that He was very satisfied with His work, the Bible says that the sons of God shouted for joy and the 'stars' sang. (In Revelation 'stars' also are called angels or heavenly beings.) And what a time of celebration that was. I used to think that God sort of 'sat back', but I just read something that leads me to believe that God himself joined in that grand celebration. In a book on the life of Christ called "Desire of Ages" is this little word picture. "

In the beginning the Father and the Son had rested upon the Sabbath after their work of creation. When 'the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them' (Genesis 2:1) the Creator and all heavenly beings rejoiced in contemplation of the glorious scene. 'The morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy.' Job 38:7.

Reading that makes my heart want to join the rest of the loyal universe in that grand scene of rejoicing. And since the Creator gave the seventh day Sabbath to man as an outward symbol of loyalty to Him, this Sabbath gives me the right to show the universe that I not only love God but that I am ready to rejoice again even as happened on that first wonderful Sabbath at the end of Creation.

Reading on in the same passage, however, added even more meaning to what the seventh day Sabbatath has acquired. And to me it makes sense that the same God who 'began' the Seventh day Sabbath meaning has a right to 'add' meaning to it when He so chooses. "Now Jesus rested from the work of redemption (when He was in the tomb); and though there was grief among those who loved Him on earth, yet there was joy in heaven. Glorious to the eyes of heavenly beings was the promise of the future. A restored creation, a redeemed race, that having conquered sin could never fall, -- this, the result to flow from Christ's completed work, God and angels saw. With this scene the day upon which Jesus rested is forever linked. For 'His work is perfect;' and 'whatsoever God doeth, it shall be forever.' Deuteronomy 32:4; Ecclesiastes 3:14. When there shall be a 'restitution of all things, which God hath spoeken by the mouth of His holy prophets since the world began' Acts 3:21, the creation Sabbath, the day on which Jesus lay at rest in Joseph's tomb, will still be a day of rest and rejoicing. Heaven and earth will unite in praise, as 'from one Sabbath to another' (Isaiah 66:23) the nations of the saved shall bow in joyful worship to God and the Lamb. Desire of Ages 769,770

I know, some folks believe the seventh day Sabbath of rejoicing and rest was just for the Jews. Problem with that was that there were no 'Jews' per se until long after the Sabbath was 'made' by God. Actually the Sabbath has been used by God to 'mark' those who choose to be loyal to Him whether they are Jews, Greeks, Romans, Americans, Chinese or any other 'human' definition of a people group.

I do admit that many of the traditions that have been 'attached' to Sabbath observance did not come from the Creator God. Quite honestly, after studying the 'war' between Christ and Satan as revealed in the Bible I have come to have an even healthier respect for the beauty and value of the 'Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy' sign as God set it up from the beginning of this world. It is also almost been humorous at times (if it wasn't really very sadi) watching how some people do everything they seem to be able to do to get people to 'forget' the one thing God said to 'remember'. I may not be able change the way others respond to the wonderful gift of the Sabbath to the human family but I can enjoy and celebrate the love of God in a special way on this seventh day Sabbath, His holy day.


We often do go to church on Sabbath. I have been teaching a group of rather small children. This week was a bit of a challenge because I felt last night that I was trying to fight off a 'cold'. I took a fairly large dose of Vitamin C along with some other 'herbs' and went to church claiming God's guidance and strength. We have been learing about the birth of Jesus between now and the end of the year. The youngness of the children encourages me to use a lot of activities. I did use songs (although at first I wasn't sure if I could sing or not) and I am hoping by the end of the year some of the children will be able to sing at least a few of the songs to take into their lives with them.


When I got to the actual church 'service' I found out that there was no one to accompany the singing so I offered to play the piano. I didn't sing but I thoroughly enjoyed using my gift of playing the piano to the glory of God.


There was a fellowship lunch at the church but I decided I had pushed my body 'far enough' so I came home. I made a garlic tomato coconut drink and drank it while I ate a few mashed potatoes. Garlic is a great 'natural remedy' for a stuffed up head. I have used it before but usually my stomach goes into almost immediate rebellion for several minutes when I send very much garlic down at one time. When I added the coconut oil to the concoction though my stomach and I were both happy and my head has felt much better as well.


A friend let us know about a very good speaker in a nearby town but for this Sabbath I think I have almost reached the limit of what I can surround for this day.


I am happy to celebrate with the universe, but due to my physical limitations today I am going to enjoy some of the 'rest' as well as the 'blessing'.


I pray that as you have read this you too can experience the Sabbath rest and Peace.


Bringer of Peace






No comments: