Sunday, October 12, 2008

Short Update

For anyone who has perused my personal versions I have updated my present understanding of Psalm 45. It seems I keep getting drawn back into that chapter for an ever deepening picture of both God the Father and Jesus. It takes time to comprehend some of these word pictures of God but it has been well worth my time doing it.

Here on the farm we were able to get some more packing done. We still have a lot to do but every little bit helps. I praise the Lord not only for what He has already done, is doing and will do but also for who He really is. My brother and I were talking yesterday and he was sharing a broader understanding of what praise really means. So often, I think anyway, we have confused praise with thanksgiving. When someone has done something and we are thankful that is what I call thanksgiving. Praise is more with focusing on the 'other' - in this situation on God. The more I get to know who God really is and what He is really like, the more I can reveal who He really is to others through my words, attitude and life - which is what 'give glory to God' means.
Praise is one way that I can also release to God, open to God, share with God. The more often I look to God with a desire to get to know who He really is better, the less any lies are able to mangle my life any longer.

Praise is not dependent on something good happening. Praising God doesn't have to do with how I feel. I can praise God - focus on who He is and what He is really like whether I'm happy or not. I can praise God when I am well or when I am sick. I can praise God when I am rested or when I am weary. I believe that is one reason 'praise' is compared to 'entering into' God's presence. "Enter into His . . . courts with praise" (Psalm 100) Enough on that topic for the moment.

It is a beautiful day and I have much to do.

Until next visit I offer you God's peace to flow into your life. You can receive it simply because He is giving it to you - it has nothing to do with something you have to 'earn'. Accept it just now, with both His and my love attached.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: