Monday, April 21, 2008

Peace in the midst 4

So much seems to be happening almost all at the same time. April 22 marks the day our son leaves for the Army. A friend I have been helping has been having some real challenges and just about as soon as son is gone I need to go help her. My sister has been under tremendous stress the past week or so. I have been asked to accept some responsibilities in my faith community that may stretch me more.

So, how can there be peace in that 'midst'? In the past I have often wondered similarly. A couple of months or so ago I made a committment with God to spend quantity as well as quality 'time' with Him on a regular basis. The least I can say is that HE HAS BEEN FAITHFUL!

In the situations listed above (as well as others not mentioned) I have been witnessing God's miracle working power operating in awesome ways. God has His 'eye' on our son. I am thankful that our son made a decision (Indecision tires even the angels). I have promises from God that give me peace not only during our communion time together but as I look forward to the future.

My friend loves the Lord very much. Even though she has been tremendously challenged she has been willing to listen to God's promises both as He has spoken them to her and as I've shared God's promises with her and for her. The Lord shared with her three things He wanted her to 'do': to rest, to 'be' and to 'receive'. (He has suggested that those three would be good for me to 'practice' as well.) As she has been accepting and choosing to rest, be and receive, I have seen her receiving 'peace in the midst' of the challenges which have been coming to her.

As each of my sisters have shared with me challenges they have been facing I have been seeing God's guiding hand in specific events taking place in relation to each of them. Some of them have seemed as on the level of miraculous or at least directly, divinely guided. Sometimes it has not always been easy to see God's kind of 'peace in the midst' of some of these challenging experiences, but it seems that the more the Lord points out to me where He is definitely, obviously 'working' in our behalf, the more I can see reason for 'peace in the midst'.

So, what is the advantage that a person has who chooses to accept the peace God offers when He says "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you. Not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" for John 14:27 says "Peace I leave with you." Mainly that God's peace is not based on 'outward' situations. God's peace is a gift from Him that is poured into a person's heart and is for all who will choose to accept it from His loving heart. He is our peace.

I need to get some sleep but in closing may I encourage that God has enough peace for you too.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: