Sunday, December 9, 2007

Peace by connection

I have recently been opening up Psalm 35. (I have posted my present understanding of it on the 'paraphrase' link to the right if anyone wishes to peruse.) It has been a fascinating study. Somehow my picture of the Creator God has taken on some new 'color'. I have known that God doesn't mind when I get frustrated and tell Him how I feel. But sometimes I don't even know how to 'do' that. This Psalm has been sharing some thoughts along that line to mentor me.
It isn't exactly a conversation between David and God, but almost. I don't know if we are informed about who was bothering David when he wrote this Psalm but it doesn't really matter for it was a 'sample' for me to follow. When I get uptight with folks who seem to be bent on only ruining peace it gives me some kind of a plan to follow.

It is appropriate to 'vent', evidently, especially to our heavenly Father. And yet, again and again David expresses the positives God will do, is doing and has done.

I am in an experience at present where that seems to be what I should do. Instead of only saying, "Lord, please help!!!" (and that is not wrong to do, just don't stop there) I have been learning to continue on and include something like "Thank you, my God. I praise You for taking care of this situation in your time and way" Thank you also for working with me, which thus enables you to save another. Something happens inside of me as I end in that kind of 'praise'. I am also becoming more and more convinced that it has a lot to do with my own attitude. How can God help the other person(s) if I am an old sour myself. That is definitely not revealing the true character of God to them through me.

This morning I listened as my hubby read the following to me. The first one suggests one of the enemy's tactics. " He (Satan) will present before them (those being tempted by him) entrancing views of the kingdom of God, and he claims that these are views of His kingdom. But are they? NO;no."
The second one gave me the answer to how to be able to 'act' like Jesus. "We need the presence of the Holy Spirit of God with us, that our hearts may be softened and that we may not bring a harsh spirit into the work."

Someone described that kind of experience with God as Him hugging me so lovingly tight that I can't tell where He begins and I end, or where I begin for that matter. Sounds good to me.
I also think that is what enables His peace to flow through me to others - whether they choose to receive it or not - by me being to close to God.

When I got up this morning I found a note in the kitchen from our son (taped on a tin of cookies he had made at a friend's house) thanking us for our patience with him. That is another big, big reason I am wanting God's peace in me. In the past our son has seen the 'sour'. I am choosing now to be a channel of God's love to reveal not only the peace of God but His joy filled love as well - both to folks more distant and even more importantly to our son right here at home. I know I have gone far from that peace and joy but I also know my God came after me a long ways. Praise God, He is in the business of bringing us all back into His 'close embrace' of love.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: