Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Peace like a River - 4

In John 7:38 the Bible refers to a river in a slightly different symbol. "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." The next verse begins to unpack verse 38. Verse 39 explains (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet [given]; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

God is referred to as the God of peace in 1 Thessalonians 5:23. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; . . .

Might it be safe to say then that this 'peace like a river' is not only something we are immersed in - as when 'swimming in the river' but when the Holy Spirit fills us with His presence (and He is the God of Peace) then His Peace will flow 'from' us like a river.

Sounds good theologically. What about a reality check. This evening after spending about 7 hours helping a friend I headed home from her place. About a minute after pulling off her property my cell phone rang. It was my friend and we ended up talking the whole way to (my) home. The main topic was her sharing appreciation for how I had helped her today. I didn't think what I had done was anything extraordinary. But I definitely was cheered by her appreciation non the less.

I want to be more like Jesus particularly in this area and I thank Him for enabling others to get at least a taste of what He is really like through the channel of me. Praise the Lord.

Bringer of Peace.





1 comment:

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Appreciation from those you have helped is rare these days. You are someone special!

Love, Linda