Thursday, February 12, 2009

Trusting God brings His peace

More often then not when I begin studying a certain passage of the Bible the Lord concurrently brings experiences into my life that 'need' what I am studying (or is it that the Holy Spirit is guiding me to the words that I need during that experience?). Whatever the case, now is no exception. Psalm 63 has some very pertinent information for my present situations. You can read the entire Psalm at the paraphrase link to the right if you wish, but I will share just a few thoughts here as well. David begins this Psalm with an affirming statement about God.
"I am quietly yet confidently waiting for sure victory from the
Mighty God. Since He is my only security, prosperity and refuge,
I won't leave Him."
David goes on to briefly describe the 'destination' of those who don't trust in God but then encourages everyone to have confidence in God's loving care.
"Have confidence in God all the time and share with Him
all that concerns you."
He ends this Psalm by affirming God directly:
"Lord, You are good, kind and loving and You make a
covenant of peace with every person who accepts Your ways."
I am so thankful that the God I serve is that kind of a God and He knew that I needed those affirming words particularly yesterday.

He has also been working on me to become more like Him. When God says something He means what He says and says what He means. That enables us to be able to trust Him.

Evidently my words have not always been that way. Yesterday I was told a number of things that people believed - taken from what I had said - but which were a surprise to me. There are times that I get a distinct impression that some kind of 'spirit' takes my words and twists them before they get to another person's ears. Yet, yesteday I was also helped to realize by someone who is a real friend that in trying to 'keep peace' (what I thought was peace anyway) the 'way' I have at times said things (thinking they were diplomatic - of a sort) have been at least part of the problem. There are times when I need to be what I consider 'blunt'. People will 'hear' what they want to hear many times, but on the other hand, the more blunt a response the more difficult it might be to 'twist' what was spoken to fit another's definition, (and desire).

I want to be truthful, and kind, and yet I am recognizing that there are also times when being 'blunt' may be the most truthful and perhaps the kindest possible. In my case it may seem to 'hurt' for the moment but in the long run it may be the way of shortening others expectations of what they want or think I am saying. I believe the Lord is guiding me in this life experience and I am choosing to learn His way.

My prayer right now is another one of David's prayers:
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Strength and
my Redeemer."

Trusting God and accepting His will even through His reproving lessons is where I am finding His kind of peace in my heart. I invite you to join me in not only learning God's will today but also accepting it in your heart.

May the God of Peace bring You into closer unity with Him today.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: