Saturday, February 7, 2009

Cleansing can bring peace

I have a printer that sometimes gets me frustrated. Sometimes I almost think it seems to have a mind of its own - even though I know it is only 'technology'. (I am convinced, though, that there are 'entities' that know a lot about technology and can cause problems when we are permitted to do so).

When we were at the seminar we were printing some materials to share with others. Sometimes the printer would work fine, but other times - - - well, let me say it did far less than it can do. There were times when it would only print at a snail's pace. Other times it would skip lines and other times certain ink colors would quit (even when there was ink). At times it did help to put the printer through what is called a cleaning cycle. But in a number of instances I just told the Lord I didn't know what was wrong and would He please 'help'. Some of those times I saw an almost immediate positive difference in the printer's performance.

Before going to the evangelism training seminar I was attempting to print up the lessons for the children's 'week of prayer' meetings I was to hold at the nearby church school. Even when the printer seemed to be working ok the program in which all of my files have been developed started arguing with the computer. All the other programs worked fine, but not that one. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it plus some other attempts. For most of the week before the 'week of prayer' the program was in almost constant conflict with the computer. It did seem that I could at times send one printing assignment to the printer before the program would crash. This was basically how I was finally able to print 16 sets of lessons before leaving for the week.

Part way through that week I was reminded that this has been a frequent occurance whenever I would be asked to share God's good news with a group. One time my computer 'died' just days before I left for a Vacation Bible School in West Virginia. Other times my current printer would quit altogether. But each time the Lord has enabled me to 'go forward' one way or another.

This time, and I can't really explain it, after we got to the retreat the program began to agree with the computer and I was able to print up additional material for several people who became interested. We did have problems but were able to accomplish quite a bit anyway.

I was reminded of these things today as I was going to share some really good news with a friend. I started to print and the printer 'had other ideas'. It does look like this time just a 'cleaning cycle' eventually has solved the problem.

But I wonder what the Lord thinks about my life. Has He had some similar problems? I do know that I need to be cleaned on a regular basis in order to be the kind of person He has already invisioned me as.

My printer is technology. I do have a brain and the power of choice which God has given me.

My printer is pretty much controlled by the computer and the commands I send. (Although I still think there may be more interference at times.) I thank God that so long as I am united to Him by accepting His will I am not just 'technology'. I can be cleansed by the power of the Holy Spirit flowing through me applying what Jesus has already done for me to me.

God has already planned for me to be like Him. Yes, I do need cleansing. The kind of cleansing God offers and supplies results in genuine, real peace.

For that I fully praise the Lord.

I invite you to request Jesus to perform that kind of cleansing for yourself too.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: