Friday, July 6, 2007

Peace in Knowing

So much has happened in the past few days that I feel I am having a hard time keeping up with life. Yet, speed of events is not what gives real peace, so that in itself is not a real issue. Add to the above that I had three jobs that needed to be done THIS WEEK with one of them needing to be done by Tuesday. That job involved papers that had to be to a lawyer by Tuesday, adding another element of interest. The other two pressing jobs had to done no later than today. I have one of them done - helping a lady prepare pictures on the computer for a class that begins this weekend. The last job is that I will be teaching a young children's class beginning this weekend in our church. When I teach young children I believe in visual aids. We have some of them done but not all of them yet and today is the last day for me to get ready. (So why am I writing this? One reason was that I just finished unpacking Psalm 17 and decided I wanted to share it. It actually had a lot to say to me about all of the above in principle. Following is my current 'paraphrase' of Psalm 17, after doing a word study. I don't really care for the numbers but have left them in for reference sake.)

Psalm 17
1. A hymn written by David.
O Creator, listen to what I am really trying to say even if it only sounds like strange noises. Honestly, what I am saying is not to betray or ridicule You.
2. Let Your decisions about me be based on Your balanced, perfect (love based) view of me.
3. You know what is inside of me - even my deepest secrets. You have been maturing me (growing me up) and I am determined that I will vindicate You.
4. Compared to other people's habits, I've been guarded from becoming destructive by using Your Words.
5. Sustain me in Your way so I don't 'miss a beat'.
6. I address You by Name for You pay attention to what I say, Almighty God.
7. Reveal your distinguished, kind courtesy to those You rescue by Your power - who confide in You, particularly when others argue and contend.
8. Protect me - as a person protects their eyes; hide me, by hovering over me,
9. from those who abuse me by acting like they are so 'great' but really aren't, yet strike out at me in hostility.
10. They are surrounded by the choicest things, they arrange everything to make themselves look the very best.
11. They advance to surround those of us who are going straight: they appear 'humble' -
12. like a preying lion about to pull down his prey or an ambush quietly waiting in hiding.
13. Do something first, O Creator, so they fall: rescue me from the violators who are parched without You.
14. Powerful people living right now, O Creator, are rich and leave a big inheritance to their families.
15. As for me, I will contemplate You with joy; I will be filled with peace when I awake just like You.


David had many of the same 'inner' challenges that face me even now. I am so thankful to he Creator God that He was relating to hasn't changed from then until now.
The last verse to me is a special promise: As I keep my mind focused on Jesus, I will have His peace in me. Praise the Lord.

As stated above I have much to do so must go for this time

Keep thinking about Jesus today,

Bringer of Peace

No comments: