Monday, July 23, 2007

Illustrations of Peace

The Creator God of the Universe made this world. When He finished, the Bible records that He said it was 'very good'. Since then a lot of things have gotten 'messed up' and are no longer 'good' in any sense of the word. On the other hand there are still many 'good' things in God's creation. Not far from my front door are some beautiful 'stargazer' lilies in full bloom right now. As I walk by them I often pause and say something like 'Thank you, Father in heaven, for this love note from You'. Every opening bud, every flower, is like an 'I love you' note from Jesus. There are also some beautiful gladiolus along the walk to my door. They don't have quite the fragrance of the stargazer lilies but they sure are beautiful. The Dahlias are also beginning to produce their summer blooms. And as though that were not enough I have a dishpan full of fresh ripe tomatoes from the garden waiting to be eaten, along with some cucumbers. Not yet picked are yellow beans, swiss chard and potatoes still in the garden. Not long ago I did some study on the meaning of Psalm 19. I posted my paraphrase this morning, if anyone is interested (see paraphrase blogsight address on side bar). In this Psalm David was looking around at God's created works and getting a better, bigger picture of the God of Peace. That kind of activity is very helpful and strengthening not only for David but my mind also. God speaks to me through His written word, which I call the Bible. He also 'speaks', as referred to in Psalm 19, through what some folks label the 'book of nature'. I invite anyone who is taking the time to read this to listen, see and maybe even touch some of God's illustrations of love and peace as found in nature. Isn't it nice to get a love letter from Someone who considers YOU VERY SPECIAL, and Who is the Author of real Peace as well. Bringer of Peace

No comments: