Friday, January 29, 2010

What is God really like?

I have been pondering and meditating on Psalm 72 for a while. I know it says King David wrote it for his son, Solomon. Fair enough. I also believe David was a prophet - a spokes person for God - and that this Psalm even more distinctly was written describing the Son of David - Jesus. I believe God wanted Solomon to be a picture, or illustration, of Jesus to God's family way back then. We know Solomon made some choices different than what Jesus did and we also have on record the 'results' of choices - in both Solomon's life and in Jesus' life.

Anyway, back to Psalm 72, there are some very interesting word pictures in this passage that helped me in 'seeing' the character of God better.

Verse three indicates that anyone can be included in God's family. I paraphrased it this way: The larger families are included in this covenant of peace as well as the smaller families, for that is the right way to do it.

Verse seven mentions God's plan for each one of His children (my words): In Your Son’s reign those who choose to agree with Him will become more like Him, continuing to mature as long as they live.

Verses thirteen and fourteen was encouraging to me: He will come along side those who are weak, powerless and oppressed, and with His merciful passion He will preserve them, give them victorious relief and take them out of oppression and abuse, for He considers them as very precious to Him.

There is much more. (If you are interested in reading the way I paraphrased this passage of Scripture click on the link to the right, where I have posted it.)

I am becoming more and more convinced that as important as 'facts' about God are - some people call them 'doctrines' - those 'facts' can't really 'stand alone'. I may intellectually assent to certain information - God is love, God is merciful, etc - but until and unless I also 'experience' those 'facts' in my life, as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13 specifically about love, it is nothing. And maybe it is worse than 'nothing'. Could 'accepting' facts about God, as 'true' as they may 'be', without personally experiencing God in my own life be one way Satan uses me to 'coy' others away from really experiencing God's love in their own lives?

May I encourage you to ask God for a 'new' picture of Him just now. He loves to share.

Bringer of Peace


No comments: