Friday, January 18, 2008

Thoughts from Psalm 41

If anyone is interested I have posted my present understanding of Psalm 41 at 'Paraphrases' at the right.
Several thoughts have been of special interest to me, especially following the past hour and a half or so. Someone was sharing with us their perceptions of how others have felt negatively concerning what we thought we were doing to 'help' 'them' - but evidently they don't feel the same as we do. Oh, well, can't win them all.

I get the feeling that David may have felt some feelings along these lines as well. He started off Psalm 41 with the following 'Freedom Declaration' though.

The Creator God will preserve the person who carefully considers the needs of those who are feeble and weak, particularly when he faces his own difficulties. The Self-Existent One will support, comfort and keep him alive. God won't allow those who hate him to have their way against him.

That, to me, is encouraging words from Jesus to me.

Farther into Psalm 41 there is strong indication that David realized that those who were 'against' him went so far as to attempt to 'cast spells' on him.

Sometimes we think that as Christians casting spells is a thing of the past. But I am not so sure that it isn't a very active 'counterfeit' even in my time. Satan chooses what kind of control he has over a person. To some he may come as 'voodoo', to others he may come as 'self-worship' or otherwise. Whatever way he chooses you can be sure it is calculated to turn the person from accepting God's will - that God loves them and they choose to love Him supreme in return and then allow that love to flow through them to all around them.

As is often the case in many of David's Psalms, after expressing his 'challenges' and 'problems' David returns to seeing more clearly as God sees him - on a 'triumphant' note of faith and trust.


I see that you favor me and are pleased with me because you didn't allow those who have been hostile toward me to get the better of me. And as for me, You follow close to me and keep me close to you for ever.

With God close to me I can truly have the peace that passes understanding inside of me.

May the God who blessed the first Sabbath be with you.

Bringer of Peace








No comments: