Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Peace Inside

This past week I have been doing a lot of thinking. I suppose hearing talk of 'New Year's Resolutions might have had something to do with some of my thoughts. But there was more. I don't usually make 'resolutions'. I was born on New Year's day so most people celebrate my birthday. The name my parents gave me means 'maiden, bringer of peace', which I also believe has had a big impact on my life. Yet, there has seemed to have been some 'gaps' between the 'peace' I have been learning about and sharing with others and some seeming 'reality' checks recently in my life. I don't know exactly how to put in words some of what I have been learning but I am going to attempt it anyway.

I have truly believed that God loves me for my whole life. But somewhere in my younger years I imbibed in the lie of 'peace at all cost'. (The Bible teaches that as far as is possible we are to be at peace with everyone, but that does not mean becoming a door mat in order to have peace - which I have practically done at times, as some of my family and friends already know.) I thank the Lord that He has been leading me into the truth in this area of my life.

But one 'side effect' (at least I am presently viewing it as such) of the wrong 'picture' of what true peace means has been my view of myself. As usual, others could see some of these challenges in me long before I have. But the Lord has been working in my mind to not only 'see' but to 'change' my thinking into His view of me. I was talking to my brother one day and he brought up this 'weakness' in me (which I had thought I had begun to 'see' also). About the same time when talking to another friend she asked me about my 'poor' view of myself as a possible 'problem' particularly in my dealings with others. About that time I called my sister and she brought in the same thoughts concerning me. One morning shortly after those discussions my husband had gotten up early and when I came out the speaker on the TV was speaking about the 'brain' and the benefit, when properly used, of speaking words. As I listened I realized the tendency I have of 'putting myself down' (seeing the negative, or 'poor me' syndrome, which has a very detrimental effect on one's mind and body). The speaker was explaining that when a person makes an affirmation (particularly that is in agreement with God's will) it 'jumpstarts' a new 'brain connection' - or makes the connection stronger if it is already there. It is through these 'good' connections that God's power is enabled to 'renew' the mind and on in to the body.

Simply speaking in agreement with God's will for my life - not only in the area of peace but in all other God given areas - is like turning the power of God on in my life.

The Bible talks about a very special group of people at the very end of time who 'overcome' by the 'blood of the Lamb (Jesus) and the WORD of their testimony' - speaking in agreement with God.

Another text in Revelation talks about those who have chosen to belong to the family of God as those who have no 'guile' (lies) in their mouth. God has chosen us and specifically me. To put myself down either by thought or words is 'guile' - a lie. So in order to be telling the truth about myself I need to say things about myself that agree with how God sees me.

I used to think that if I said something that wasn't yet 'visible' in my experience I was telling a lie. But according to what this man was telling about the brain, that belief of mine was a lie. The devil wanted me to believe I was a 'hypocrite' - which was a lie - if I spoke things that I couldn't yet 'see' in myself even though they were in agreement with God's will for me. The devil knew that when I would 'speak' God's thoughts not only would I be using my mouth in testimony but God's power would be activated inside of me and of course he doesn't want that to happen which is the reason for him telling me lies about God.

God has told me that He has thoughts of peace concerning me to give me an expected end.

He has also assured me that I can have great peace as I agree with Him (His law).

And the list goes on and on. Oh, by the way, the same is true for you as well.

One of God's biggest challenges is to get us to agree with Him about ourselves. As soon as He can get us to 'see ourselves as He sees us' then He knows that we are heading for 'His Peace' in us.

I have much to learn in this area yet. One thing I do know at the moment is that attempting to 'change' my mind by simply saying something over and over isn't what I am talking about. That is not always the same as 'agreeing with God'. Agreeing with brings true peace inside.

When I look back on this learning experience I believe I will be able to better identify any other lies the devil had been using to 'keep me down', but for now I do know that not only does Jesus love me but He also 'sings' for JOY as I come into more and more agreement with what He believes about me.

Today I am choosing to practice agreeing with God.

Jesus tells me "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you".

May you experience that kind of peace from Jesus inside of you just now.

Bringer of Peace

1 comment:

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Happy belated birthday - I didn't know or I would have celebrated!

I believe your words go along with the phrase "God doesn't make junk". But, it is still difficult to smile and say thank-you when someone gives us a compliment, isn't it?

Take Care with Love,
Your friend (who didn't know your birthday),
Linda