Sunday, May 17, 2009

Grace and Peace be multiplied unto You

For the past week or so I have been pursuing what God's definition of grace includes.

I have also been trying to wrap my mind around what 'grace' might 'look like' from God's side.

The Greek word for 'grace' is 'charis'. You might recognize that 'root' in some words we use even today, such as charisma, charismatic, etc. Some of the basic meaning has to do with being true, what is true, what is true in personal excellence and what is in harmony with divine reality as well as what is not necessarily deserved or merited.

Further search revealed that 'charis' deals with JOY and that which causes JOY and rejoicing, as well as loving kindness. At the present time, though, I am seeing that the kind of JOY that is described in 'charis' is that which is not deserved.

When doing a word study I at times look to see if there is a 'root' from which the word comes. In this case the root word is 'chairo'. The meaning here is definitely JOY. Zacchaeus came down the tree with JOY when Jesus said He wanted to go home with him.

There is far more to this study but up to this time I had defined grace as God giving us what we don't deserve.

Adding what I have learned this morning to that definition has really expanded my picture.

Let me see if I can express what I have learned. Chairo includes 'joy'. Charis (based on chairo) also includes joy (experiencing that God loves for me to be with Him, I am special to Him, I am as the 'apple of his eye', etc.)but it is a joy I have not deserved. In a little shorter way let me say it this way.
Grace = receiving and experiencing God's joy which I don't deserve.

Grace and Peace come from God. Grace is receiving JOY from God I don't deserve. Peace is trusting God so completely that it is though I am 'resting in His arms'.

Science has discovered that every time I experience JOY and PEACE in harmony with another mind my capacity to cope with life, with stress, is increased. Experiencing JOY and PEACE can 'happen' with another human mind. It can also be experienced as I come in harmony with God.

God wants that experience to be multiplied - many, many times for me to experience that He loves for me to be with Him and and that I am extra special to Him leading me to trust Him in such a way that I feel as though He is hugging me with His arms around me.

No, I don't deserve it! Yes!!!!, God loves for me to experience His Grace.

And keep in mind. Every time you experience grace and peace, your capacity to grow up, to mature, to cope with stress, with life, increases.

You are loved.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: