Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Another aspect of living in God's plan

I seem to have taken quite a while to 'digest' Psalm 66. I finally posted my current paraphrase in the link to the right (if you wish to look at my present understanding of that chapter). There is quite a bit of 'life' and 'living' covered in that Psalm.

I think I found out where the phrase 'through hell and high water' may have come from. Verse 12 refers somewhat to that thought in the KJV: 12 we went through fire and through water but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy [place]. In looking up the meanings of 'hell' and 'water' I found some very interesting concepts. After trying to grapple in my mind with what the author meant I put that part of the verse like this. People have attacked our identity, causing pain (like fiery hell) and humiliation (like someone 'pissing' on us),

God has not promised that life here on planet earth will only be sweet and nice, with everyone treating everyone else the 'right' way. Since we are living in a war zone, called by some the 'great controversy between Christ and Satan, attacks by God's enemy against us in all sorts of ways is currently a 'way of life'. But the later part of the same text gives 'God's' perspective more: yet through these experiences You. God, have matured us and satisfied us abundantly.

We serve an awesome, loving, caring God. I honestly don't believe that He has any desire for all of the experiences we often label as 'hell and high water', but even through them all God still loves us and as we keep on focusing our thoughts on what God is really like the ending of this Psalm helps us to 'read the last chapter', so to speak.

19 If I believe lies about God, He can't always get through me, but He still listens and continues working to answer my heart cries. 20 God is so good, for He has not stopped loving me - even though I don't deserve His love.

I believe God has been enabling me to let go of lies about Him to enable me to be set free in a deeper way. And as the first part of Psalm 66 so aptly put it, "Let everyone express Joy to God." This kind of JOY is not just passing excitement, wanting to 'jump and shout' kind of experience. I just read a statement that described the kind of JOY I believe a more mature Christian begins to experience. "Then talk of the promises; talk of Jesus' willingness to bless. He does not forget us for one brief moment. When, notwithstanding disagreeable circumstances, we rest confidingly in His love, and shut ourselves in with Him, the sense of His presence will inspire a deep, tranquil JOY." and "The purest JOY springs from the deepest humiliation. The strongest and noblest characters rest upon the foundation of patience and love, and trusting submission to the will of God"

Combining that kind of JOY with God's kind of PEACE - which in the Bible is described as "Peace that passes all understanding" - it appears to me God has something 'out of this world' for us to experience in our hearts even while we are still 'here'.

I have much to do today so I must go for now. Until we meet again, may you experience in your own heart God's kind of JOY and His kind of peace - even in the middle of whatever life experiences you are in at the moment.

Bringer of Peace




No comments: