Saturday, May 10, 2008

God's kind of Peace - Wow

"The God of Mighty Miracles is marching through our land,
Healing hearts and healing homes with His Almighty Hand.
He's promised to create our home a happy family
Where love will overflow through time and all eternity.

O, Touch me now, O Holy Spirit, with Your mighty Power.
Do Your miracles of love within this very hour.
Glory, glory, God Almighty, it's Your matchless power.
Praise God for His great miracles right at this very hour.

The God of Mighty Miracles is calling me today.
I hear His voice, I feel His touch, I come without delay.
He stands with open arms to give me JOY and PEACE and LOVE
And soon I'll live forever, Happy Family above.

O, Touch me now, O Holy Spirit, with Your mighty Power.
Do Your Miracles of love within this very hour.
Glory, glory, God Almighty, it's Your matchless power.
Praise God for His great miracles right at this very hour.

The above song was one of the theme songs (from the Inter American Division Happy Family Evangelism series) which we used for Vacation Bible School when we had a program called 'Camp Joy'. I began singing it as I was driving along this week as a response to how God is working.

God's kind of peace in my heart doesn't mean no 'stress', no 'intensity', or even no 'suspense'.
God's kind of peace does involve miracles. Some of them are big and some are small.
This past week it seemed that almost every time I turned around something else was happening and I can only attribute these 'things' and happenings to God's doing. He wants to use us as channels but He gets the glory. He wants us to experience the JOY but He gets the honor. He delights in surprising me, or at least it seems that way, but He gets the credit and praise. Wow! what a Prince of Peace is the Creator God of the Universe.

I have been in touch with some folks concerning some problems they were having. As they shared some interactions between themselves and others involved I couldn't help but praise the Lord. I pointed out how the responses - at least it sure looked that way - were in reality answers to our prayers.

One evening I felt the deep impression to pray for a family member. Actually I ended up including my whole family by the time the Lord bid me 'go in peace' as is a common 'sending' into the day. The next morning my sister shared with me a 'small' (yet really significant, and relief producing for her) event had happened that day. I praised the Lord. I believe that these small indicators are God's way of reminding us to 'stay with Him'.

The friend who I have been helping move has also been encouraging me to get some 'jobs' done in my life arena. One thing involves some possible legal connections. I was thinking and praying about who I should consult. I asked the Lord about different ones and seemed to get negative. Then I asked about someone who had helped a friend of mine and I got an affirmation. Not long after I got a call from the friend who suggested the same 'helper'. I am still seeking God's will, but that is just another indicator that God is in control.

Another friend stopped by our farm to see me but I had already 'left'. She got to talking to some of the other folks here before going on her way. To make a long story short, she told me that she was at a very low 'ebb' in her experience, but the encouragement she received here made a very big difference in her own life. Another praise to the Lord. I hadn't even known she was 'down'. And then to top it off I found out that her visit encouraged some folks here. What a wonderful God in whose family we belong.

Recently my sis sent me an article based on Psalm 50. I received such a blessing from it that I am including it after my comments.

One thing that deeply impressed me was that, at least in Psalm 50, prayer is a legal summons.
I was also really impacted by no. 10 below.

Now, just the very fact that you have taken the time to read this indicates that you are special.
God had a reason for you to be affirmed just now. God has not been caught off guard by either your life experiences or mine. You are being summoned before God - for Him to defend you.
Go in peace.

Bringer of Peace.


From Dr. Brooky Stockton

Prayer as a Legal Pleading

“And call upon Me in the day of trouble;
I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me" (Psalm 50:15).

A child of God will never know God’s strength until he has met adversity. Trouble may be the black horse upon which blessing rides. You can find Christ in an empty wallet. There is something about difficulty that causes us to dig deeper, pray better, and work harder.

Some time ago, I was frivolously sued along with another Christian in retaliation for a lawful action. Though I did nothing wrong, I was concerned. I found myself spending hours at the library reading frantically through law books to figure out how to defend myself. My whole life was turned upside down. I did not understand legalese (lawyer talk), comprehend procedure, or know diddily about courts and judges. With the help of a friend, I scratched out “an answer to the complaint,” “a motion to dismiss,” “a counter complaint,” and “a motion for summary judgment.” Over a few months my knowledge excelled and my confidence grew. On the day of my hearing, I argued pro se and the judge dismissed all charges against me because the plaintiff’s accusations were not founded on fact. But, the judge sustained my counter complaint! What an ordeal! What an education!

One thing I learned is that prayer is much like a legal pleading, and if you will learn to plead your case properly before the High Court of Heaven, your prayers can prevail.

You can prevail in prayer in the day of trouble by properly pleading your case.

1. Plead Obedience to the Summons: In Psalm 50, “the Mighty One, God, the Lord speaks and summons the earth . . . that He may judge his people” (1-4). A summons is a citation ordering a defendant into court to face a charge. Right or wrong, true or false, convenient or inconvenient, if the defendant does not show up for court, presumption of guilt prevails and the complainant will be awarded a judgment.

Here, it is the Judge, the Might One (El), God (Elohim), the Lord (YHWH) who issues the summons. It must be obeyed. When we come before the Throne of Grace, we are not there because of human presumption, but by Divine command. A summons must be answered or the defendant is presumed guilty due in part to the Doctrine of Estoppel by Acquiescence. Prayer is not man’s invention, man’s prerogative, or man’s contrivance. Prayer is simply obedience to an Order of the Court, and we would do well to honor it.

When you pray, acknowledge that you are before the Bench in response to His summons.

2. Plead the Proper Party: “He summons the heaven above, and the earth, that he may judge His people; Gather to Me my consecrated ones, who made a covenant with Me by sacrifice.”

A hearing before a court cannot occur unless the proper parties are present. A proper party is one who has an inherent interest in the subject-matter of the litigation.

Here God calls upon His people to appear in His Court. He calls them “His consecrated ones” (godly ones) and those “who made a covenant with Him.” Are you one of His people? Have you made a covenant with Him? Are you a Party Injured? Then, you are the Proper Party and you have a right to appear in Court and motion the Court to intervene. God has set His love upon you, elected you before the foundation of the world, and washed you in the blood of Calvary. Surely, you have a right to present a motion before the Court.

If you are not “godly” and are not a partaker of the “new covenant,” then you are not the Proper Party and you have no right to approach the Bench!

3. Plead jurisdiction: “Hear, O my people, and I will speak . . . I am God, your God.” Jurisdiction is a term of comprehensive importance. It determines the powers of the courts to inquire into facts, apply laws, make decisions, and declare a judgment. It is the first issue to be decided in any case. Does the court have the authority to hear the case? An American living in the U.S.A. has no duty to the laws of Russia. A New York Court cannot try a Delaware resident. A federal court has no jurisdiction over a private Citizen.

Heaven’s Court has jurisdiction over “the earth” (50:1), the east and west (50:2), “Zion” (50:2), the “heavens” (50:4), “his people” (50:4), the godly (50:5), but the “wicked” have no right to petition the Honorable Court (50:16). If you are God’s child, you are within the jurisdiction of the Court and you have a right to plead your case before the Judge.

4. Plead the Opportunity: The Judge orders, “Call upon me in the day of trouble.” (50:15). Trouble is an opportunity. God cannot deliver a man who is not in trouble, or heal a man who is not sick, enrich a man who is not poor, or forgive a man who is not sinful. Trouble gives you the right to expedite your case; the right for special considerations; and, the right to waive honorable court rules. Do you remember the elections of 1990 when Bush defeated Gore in Florida by only a few hundred votes? Lawyers challenged the election process and motioned the Supreme Court to expedite their case because of the election crisis. The Court dispensed with special publication rules. Instead, the lawyers submitted their briefs on regular 8 ½ x 11 paper. Likewise, if you are in a day of trouble, surely, the Court will waive certain expectations. You haven’t time to tweak your prayers and adjust your motions. Just get into the Courtroom and plead your cause. The day of trouble is a day of opportunity.

5. Plead the Time: “Call upon me in the day of trouble.” Maybe you have a wayward son, or a health crisis, or financial need. Yesterday, you were not in trouble. Today you need deliverance. Tomorrow will be too late. If it is a midnight hour and there are only a few grains left in the hourglass, then plead the time—the day of trouble.

6. Plead the Character of the Honorable Judge: “Call upon me.” In our country the courts are considered incorruptible, and they are! But, the judges sitting on the bench are very corruptible. But, not so with Heaven’s Judge. He is too good to be corrupted. Too righteous to be partial; too holy to be tainted; too gracious to be critical of what may appear to be petty concerns, imperfect prayers, and an imperfect life. Come before His Majesty and say, “Lord, I appeal to You who are too great to change, too good to lie, too compassionate to overlook my plight . . .”

7. Plead the Court’s Order: The Court has ordered you to “Call . . .” in the day of trouble. By calling, you are not being a pest. You are not a nuisance. You are not an inconvenience. Prayer is the proper way of motioning the Court to act. David motioned the Court, “Hear my prayer,” a qal command in Hebrew (Psalm 4:1). It is no mistake that the language of prayer is in the imperative. The petitioner respectfully moves/commands the Court to honor his motion. And, His Court is never closed. Never too busy. Never over scheduled. Never bogged down with cases. He has commanded you to come, and an Order of the Court is not to be ignored. Would He have given the Order if He did not intend to honor it?

8. Plead the Promise: The text says, “ Call . . . and I will deliver you.” The word, “deliver” (#lx, chalats) is a piel verb meaning that extra intensity is intended in the deliverance.

The word “deliver” means “to draw out.” It is translated “tear out the stones” in Leviticus 14:40 supplying the imagery of removing difficult, heavy problems. It is translated “watered garden” in Isaiah 58:11 implying that God will refresh the weary, thirsty soul. It is translated “to present the breast” in Lamentations 4:3. The imagery here is of nursing mother pulling out her breast to give her crying baby milk to drink and comfort to feel.

The phrase “I will” certifies that the Judge will honor His promise. He who is holy and just can be nothing but be faithful and true. The Judge is not poor. “Every creature in the forest” and “every bird in the mountains” and “ the cattle on a thousand hills” are His (50:1-12). The Judge is not unwilling. He has commanded you to “Call.” The Judge is not unable, “for nothing shall be impossible with God” (Luke 1:37). If necessary, He will shake heaven and earth to come to your rescue. He will provide a path through your Red Sea.

The fact that the Judge will deliver is forever settled. Further more saith not. But, what is not settled is the “when” of the deliverance. For this, the supplicant must trust the Wisdom of the Court, for the “spirit of wisdom and understanding” are upon Him (Isaiah 11:2). God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

9. Plead the Proper Object: “I will deliver you.” Will he deliver everyone else, but not me? The “you” in this verse refers back to “his people,” “my consecrated ones,” “my people” and to “Israel” (50:4, 5, 7). You who have put your faith in Christ, are you not a son of Abraham (Galatians 3:7)? Are you not a member of the “called out ones,” the true Israel of God (Matthew 16:16, Romans 9:6)? Having received Christ are you not now a His child (John 1:12, 13)? Maybe, He will not answer the wicked, but surely He will answer you, a member of His family.

You may say, “But I am flawed. How can God answer me?” Even better! Plead your weakness. It was to an imperfect, flawed, fractured ritualistic people to whom the promise was given (50:8-14). Did not God say to the ailing apostle, “My strength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9)?

10. Plead the Purpose of the Court: “I will deliver you, but you shall glorify Me.” You can have the deliverance, but God must have the adoration. You can have your health, but God must have the honor. You have your wealth, but God must receive the worship. You can have your pardon, but God must have the praise. If you are a thief of God’s glory, how can He honor His promise to deliver?

Does God delay? He did with Mary’s prayer for her sick brother (John 11). But, maybe a resurrected Lazarus could bring Him more glory than a recovered Lazarus? Did God wait 14 years to answer the prayer of aging Abraham? Maybe, a child from an old man and an old woman could bring Him more glory than the gift of a child at middle age. Did Jacob’s plea for protection and prosperity happen in the first year of his departure from Canaan? Maybe, an impoverished patriarch with no commodities, two wives, and eleven children could bring Him more glory than a wealthy single bachelor. After defeating Goliath, could not God have made David king of Israel? Maybe, an innocent but vilified fugitive seasoned by years of hardship would make a better king that a naïve boyhood king.

Out of the Darkness
Out of the dark forbidding soil
The pure white lilies grow.
Out of the black and murky clouds,
Descends the stainless snow.
Out of the crawling earth-bound worm
A butterfly is born.
Out of the somber shrouded night,
Behold! A golden morn!
Out of the pain and stress of life,
The peace of God pours down.
Out of the nails -- the spear -- the cross,
Redemption -- and a crown! (Source Unknown)

It is not a mistake that a pleading is called, “a prayer” in court. Prayer is much like a legal pleading, and if you will learn to plead your case properly before the High Court of Heaven, your prayers can prevail.

No comments: