Thursday, February 14, 2008

Peace - a choice

The kind of Peace that the Creator God gives is based on a choice.
"Great Peace have they which love Thy Law and nothing shall offend them". Psalm 119:165 That Bible verse describes a choice that I can make. I can choose to accept God's love in my heart, allowing it to 'bathe' me in it's transforming power, changing me from someone in trouble to someone in love. As I focus my mind on what God is really like, He promises to give me His characteristics. God is love and as I focus on His love I am enabled to love Him in return and share His love also with others.

God's law is like a picture of His character - what He is really like.
Jesus said His Father's law is to 'love God supreme and others as myself'.
According to the above promise that kind of experience is what gives me real, genuine peace.
The result of that kind of peace is that 'nothing - a peeled zero - will be able to break up my peace.

That is awesome. But since I have been learning about God that isn't the only thing awesome about Him.

My brother just wrote some very interesting comments (line is on the right) that to me went along with some of my thoughts.

God has also been working on getting me to understand more about how some choices I made earlier in my life need to be negated and refuted in order for me to have God's kind of peace now.

Right now I have commited to 'find' special time daily to talk with God alone at least three times a day. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." "Evening and morning and at noon will I pray and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice. Psalm 55:17

I have always intellectually assented to the premise that prayer is necessary. But I must sadly confess that I have not always put it 'first' in my spiritual experience. God is delighted and He has been doing a number of things to draw me to Him in a deeper intimacy. I have become more aware that true Peace is knowing God close up. I want ever more of that experience as mine.

But Peace is one of those attributes that is best shared. So, if you have read this far, I would like to encourage you to ask God to share His peace with you. It may not always include external experiences, but God's kind of peace can be in your heart even in the worst of storms.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: