Saturday, February 17, 2007

One result of accepting PEACE

Many years ago I believed some lies about myself that others expressed. The Lord gave me many indications over the years that He did not believe those lies about me. But I seemed to be pretty hard headed about 'giving up' the lies I have been given about me.

About two years ago a friend was being treated what seemed to me similar to how I had been earlier. I was very upset but it seemed nothing I could do would give me peace or help her. I thought I had asked forgiveness but it hadn't seemed to change anything. Now it seemed I was in even more turmoil than ever.

One Friday evening we had invited folks to sing with us but no one came. My husband, Duane, know that I was still very upset so he suggested we pray together. As we prayed I began to cry. As Duane continued praying the Lord put His arms around me, gave me a hug and said, "Olive, it's not your fault." Instantly my mind went back to the lies I had believed about myself years before. The Lord opened my mind to the 'truth' and a PEACE came over me. As this PEACE came into my heart I was in awe. Then the JOY of the Lord, which is my strength, filled me and I thrilled as I realized what the Lord had just done in setting me free. I was so excited I could hardly wait to tell my friend the next morning in church. After I shared what the Lord had done for me, my friend confided that the Lord had done the same for her the same evening.

Having been set free by the Spirit of Truth, I forgave those who had offended me through lies.

I also believe that the Lord has been continuing to strenghen me through His PEACE and JOY since that time. Then this past week the Lord gave me another deep dose of His JOY and PEACE. Since the earlier experience (plus several others over the years) I had become quite cautious when dealing with others, particularly in this church. But over the past year or so I have been sensing changes. I have been assisting with children's Sabbath School classes and have been working to compile a song book for use by them. In trying to choose the best way to 'bind' the books I checked at a local printing place for their charges. The more I thought about it the more I thought about buying a machine rather than paying to bind not only song books but other projects the church has been thinking about doing, i.e. cookbooks, directories, etc.

The Lord impressed me to take the information to the church for their counsel, even though I still felt a bit reluctant, I shared my findings with the church group.

Their response went far beyond what I had expected and brought tears of JOY to my eyes.
Not only did they suggest getting the machine but they voted that the church 'pay for it' (binding machine) and more besides to cover costs.

As I listened to that vote, (to me a vote of confidence) tears of JOY came to my eyes. God's Spirit, who had set me free from lies was now also restoring trust and confidence for which I praise Him.

A lot more has been happening but for now I will continue to praise the Lord.

Maiden, Bringer of PEACE

No comments: