Monday, February 12, 2007

Life is interesting. It seems to get even more so as time goes on. Life, however, is not what peace is. This experience called Peace doesn't just 'happen' - or so it seems. In an ongoing situation in my life, some time ago a friend broke her leg. I jumped in 'thinking' to 'rescue' a 'bad' situation. She had quite a number of animals dependent upon her care. My hubby and I ended up the primary caregivers for both her and her 'flock'.

That may be 'life' but my brain wasn't willing to settle for my trying to bring peace to another quite so quickly. To be honest I have done quite a bit of arguing with myself over the current situation. In fact I have gotten down right upset about it.

So where is this experience called PEACE?

For one thing, I have learned that the kind of PEACE I am learning about may not have a whole lot to do with 'what' is happening as much as 'why'. One day in particular I was complaining to the Lord. When I 'ran down', He asked me if I was making my friend a 'god'? OOH did that smart. But I had to admit that it sure looked like it. I wish I could say I learned the lesson but a couple of nights ago I bowed down to that idol again. Even my husband noticed it that time. One small consolation is that maybe I am becoming aware of situations like this more quickly.
Anyway, back to my argument with the Lord. I don't remember all that went on but I do remember that when I came to the willingness to 'care' 'as unto the Lord' and not unto 'her' I began to experience PEACE. This kind of PEACE comes in the middle of the experience, not as a result, or so it seems. My heavenly Father didn't promise 'skies always blue' as the poem says, but when I focused on HIM then the 'doing it as unto the Lord' attitude brought me peace.

It is interesting that this "PEACE" seems to be dealing more with 'attitude' than 'action'.
One small consolation - I think the animals seem more peaceful when I am at peace.

Duane has been getting the 'big goat' to eat from the container in his hand. Tonight he ate while I held the container. He is still very skittish but up until now I usually couldn't even get very close to him.

I am humbly grateful for the above lesson.

Maiden, Bringer of Peace

No comments: