Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Are we really Thankful?

I hope that all who read this will have a true 'thankful' thanksgiving day.

We enjoy the opportunity to 'get together' on thanksgiving day.

But this year has given me some food for thought. Mainly, are we more focused on the 'right' food or rather on 'right' relationships with others? It has been amazing to me the 'snaffues' (if you get the idea) that have arisen over 'what it the right food' or 'the right way to prepare a food' or whatever. I just hope we don't have civil war break out over thanksgiving 'dinner'.

We have here one pretty basic 'American' (who considers what is considered by that person as gourmet), an 'Italian' with some pretty strong cultural ideas, a 'New Englander' who considers certain traditions as practically 'unchangeable' and some newly weds, as well as us - I'm not sure what we might be classified as except we are vegetarian so won't be eating of the turkey or any other meat dishes.

I personally think this is an excellent time to 'be thankful', not only for the diversity here but also for the opportunity to still have something for which to be thankful. I say that because, at least from my perspective, each one of the folks here is here to a more or less degree because they have lost their previous place to live, needed help, and we thought we were helping them by offering a share of what we have. I realize, however, that is not everyone else's view. So be it.

Meanwhile, back at the farm. I am looking forward to thanksgiving dinner with mixed emotions more or less. I do hope for the best, however. God is good at taking our fragmented offerings and turning them into something 'wonderful', as His Name indicates.

I just got a call for help so need to close for now.

May Your thanksgiving be a good one to place in your memory hall.

Bringer of Peace

No comments: