Sunday, January 7, 2007

Happy New Year and more

It hardly seems possible that another year has not only begun but one week of that new year is already history as well.
Happy New Year! What do I mean by that phrase? Am I even supposing that every thing in the new year will be 'happy' - contentment based on 'happenings'? Not hardly. This first week was enough to explode any possibility of that happening - this year anyway.
Just to give a short summary, here are a few events that occured just recently.
Perhaps there is one event that was a major mover and 'shaker'. A lady friend who lives here at our farm - and has a number of animals here as well - fell and broke her leg. O.K. a broken leg, what is the big deal. Well, for one she is almost 'deathly afraid' of doctors. She did finally go to the emergency room at the hospital but other than that she had decided that she could take care of her broken leg herself. She has that freedom. But, her freedom and choice made a rather large impact on some of the rest of us.
She has not been 'mobile' now for about 3 weeks plus but her animals are still here. There are others here at the farm but some of them went on vacation so basically husband and I were 'it' for 'farm duties'. That is not too terrible or awful in and of itself. It has kept me busier than I had been before. But I think there was a lot more to this experience for me personally.
Ah, yes, I am 'supposed' to be a 'peacemaker'. What does that mean? Do everything everyone 'expects'? eh? Be a doormat? Be the servant?
Well, to be honest I think I have had at least some of those 'beliefs' in the past.
This time, though, I have begun to see things - I hope - a little differently.
My friend had the freedom to choose to opt out of getting surgery or a cast for her leg.
What are freedoms that are available for me in this situation?
Could true 'peace' have more to do with my attitude rather what is going on around me?
According to the Bible the Peace God gives is in the 'heart' - inside of me.

So how do I apply that to my current situation? One thing I have hopefully learned. My peace does not have to be lost even though 'outward' activities can become even hectic.

Another point I have been pondering and trying to apply is that even as my friend had freedom to choose how she would handle, for the most part, her life when she broke her leg, I also can maintain freedom to make choices.

At first she was handing out instructions on how to do 'this' and 'that'. At times what she said was seemingly contradicting herself. After about one day I decided I needed to set boundaries. Those of us who were trying to help her decided what each could do and then 'did them'. She seemed upset at first but since we just 'did' what we needed to do she began to at least seem to calm.

My birthday is the first day of the year. I guess I was hoping to work with husband on that day on some farm projects. Nice wish. Instead I ended up basically 'loosing' my peace. My friend took this 'day' - or so it seemed to me - to chew me out about her perceptions of how we were handling her livestock.

My response? Well, I decided to exercise my 'freedom' and let her know that the specific livestock care job I was doing would be terminated as far as my doing it was concerned on the coming Friday. Well, Friday came and went. I gave her the keys and then spent quite a few 'night dreams' trying to figure out how those animals wouldn't go uncared for (which I consider as a form of abuse). So far they are still being fed.

I am still helping her with personal needs as little as she will let me do. I am still attempting to carry on some form of fulfillment as far as my personal needs and my family needs are concerned. (That was what seemed to temporarily suffered the most). And I also believe I am learning a little more about 'real peace'. I'm not so sure that I always know how to 'keep peace'.

Do I still consider my decision appropriate. Well, I still have a few mixed emotions about it, but on the other hand I do have a peace. I have come to a conclusion that my friend needed to accept at least some of the responsibility for her choices of staying in bed for weeks instead of having a cast or surgery and get up sooner. It seemed to me that she was just 'laying back' and telling others what to do - often without correct information. I could accept that when it came to her personal care but it really bothered me when it came to 'animal care'. Husband and I are still doing some of the animal care but for one of the main 'jobs', she is looking, at least for now, for 'outside' help.

So how does all of the above affect 'peace'? Could it be that 'peace' has more to do with my attitude than with 'outside' activities? I am becoming more convinced that is the case.

On the other hand, here's hoping that your new year does have true peace.

'Maiden, bringer of peace'

1 comment:

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Hi Olive,

I'll be visiting your site often as I know that your writings will always be from the heart.

I'm deathly afrid of dentists the way your friend is afriad of doctors but as my good doctor once said (many times, in fact), "When you say yes to something, you are saying no to something else." He meant, when I say yes to other people, I'm saying no to myself. I've often thought about that when people try to place undue burden on me in the name of 'good'. If I say 'yes" to them, what am I saying "no' to myself? Hope that helps.

Take Care on the Journey,